PDA

View Full Version : 2 kids and various car seat options

ajweeks
02-28-2005, 11:23 AM
It seems like I'm always posting questions on this board--there are just so many options out there I'm always second guessing myself!

I have 3 yr. old ds who is 39 lbs. and 41 in. tall and is currently in a marathon (we also have a ultra cargo for travel and second car but he will be out of the harness on this pretty soon). I also have an almost 6 month old dd who is probably around 14-15 lbs. and 25 in. tall in a snugride. My dd is small and is still fitting fine in the snugride but I know that within another month or so she will be too tall for it. So now my question is what next?

Should I put my dd in the marathon and use a booster or the ultra cargo for my ds while he is under 40 lbs.? Are there any other seats that can harness over 40 lbs. other than Britax? Is Combi coming out with a new combo seat? If we did that option, I would probably buy a Touriva (on sale at Walmart this week for $38) for my dd for travel because the marathon is so heavy.

The other option is to keep my ds in the marathon and buy a roundabout for my dd (I've seen them on sale online for $169). How is the roundabout versus the Touriva for travel? Is it much heavier?

Which option do you think is best?

Joolsplus2
02-28-2005, 01:11 PM
The Roundabout's little heavier for travel, but it's really even easier to use than the Touriva, and you can't beat that price for a comfy, easy to use seat. Of course it won't last as long as a Marathon, but since you will be able to hand down the Marathon at some point, that's ok (and nice looking roundabouts do have good resale value <wink>).
I'd keep your 3 yo harnessed in the Marathon for another couple years, and keep harnessing in the Cargo till 40.999 pounds (especially if it's tethered...the same seat goes to 48 pounds tethered, in Canada...not that I'm saying keep him in it harnessed that long, but you have a little time to go in it, possibly long enough for the new higher weight seats to come out....).

Hey, keep on coming back :) I wish this board had more traffic, even though I could almost write the exact same post for almost every question, lol.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

ajweeks
02-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Julie,

Thanks for all your advise. I think I'll go ahead and get the Roundabout since $169 is such a good price. Actually, I think with buying boosters and other cheaper "travel" seats I'll probably spend the same amount of money in the long run and I agree that the marathon for my ds and roundabout for my dd are the safest options.

I had posted a message awhile ago about taxis and car seats and you had recommended the Strolee McKinley booster for my son as an "okay" travel option. I think I will get this because it is hard to deal with two big carseats and two kids while traveling. I'm a little nervous about him not being harnessed, but the booster seems like the simplest option (and hopefully relatively safe) for taxis.

We will also be visiting family in June in San Diego. The Grandparents have a new Volvo SUV that has an integrated booster in the middle back seat. I read in the owner's manual and ds meets the height and weight requirements. Do you know anything about the safety of these integrated boosters?

Thanks again for all your help!

Joolsplus2
02-28-2005, 04:52 PM
I think those integrated boosters are great as long as he's sitting properly in it :) There's just nothing at all to "mess up" about using it right, it's as simple as you or me sitting in a seat. And you can't beat the safety of being in the center seat. As long as he's comfortable, and the belt fits low on his lap, touching his thighs, and the shoulderbelt is right across his shoulder/collarbone, and he can sit straight the whole time, he'll be just fine.

I love going to visit my mom and her Volvo S80...such a nice safe car!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx