PDA

View Full Version : Car pool advice

layla
03-07-2005, 10:15 AM
We have a 1996 VW Jetta and a 4 year old dd who is the proud owner of a new Britax Parkway. This past year we've started carpooling to preschool occasionally, and I always feel a little nervous about the arrangement of the carseats in the back of the Jetta. Most of our friends have minivans or SUVs with more room for extra kids. Since we're not having any more children ourselves, we don't plan to buy a larger vehicle, although we may get a Honda Prius in a year or two. We are talking about doing regular carpooling with 2 other families next fall.

What is the safest option for carting 2-3 kids in the back of a car like ours? They should all be in boosters by September. I'm willing to buy extra boosters, in consultation with the other parents. If 3 kids is unworkable or unsafe, we may need to buy a car with wider backseats a little sooner than we planned.

Joolsplus2
03-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I'd get top tether anchors installed, if you don't already have them, and seriously consider the ride safer travel vest for the center seat (there's a good post about that on this page right now...um...can't remember the title, but it has links to crashtest footage at www.safetrafficsystem.com
Or small, narrow booosters like the Strolee McKinley or even the Graco Cargo (the My Cargo is a booster only, narrow, no armrests)...
I'm sure *something* will fit!
I guess there's some new crash test footage out there, possibly from www.iihs.org about small car testing in side impacts that is rather frightening...so you might want to start looking for something new(er) if you can afford "just because", you know?

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

layla
03-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Well Julie, after doing some further reading I think I've decided to switch back to a 5 point harness seat! THis means we'll *definitely* need a new car soon I guess. So, my new question is: given that dd is 4 years, 38 lbs and 41 inches, how many years do you think we'd get out of a Wizard? OR should we get a Husky? I'm worried more about height than weight.