PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with a 3 car seat issue in an SUV?

andigal
03-09-2005, 02:31 PM
I was wondering what others were doing with this problem. I currently have my 4 1/2 year old in a Britax Marathon and my almost 3 year old in a Britax Roundabout. They both LOVE their car seats and I'm very reluctant to put the 4 1/2 year old in anything else. She is about 39 lbs but this is not a problem since the Marathon goes to 65 lbs. But my problem is that I am expecting my third child (in a few weeks)who will go in an infant car seat for now. I can't see how 3 car seats will fit in my SUV (I have a Mercury Mountaineer), especially since the Britax seats are so wide. I have been trying to research the idea of moving the 4 1/2 year old to a booster, but as I mentioned I am reluctant to give up the safety and comfort of the seat/5 point harness. Does anyone know of an option that is not too bulky, yet as safe as the Britax seats with the 5 point harness?

Joolsplus2
03-09-2005, 06:47 PM
I'd keep the eldest in the Marathon, but maybe look at the really narrow Graco Platinum Cargo for the 3 yo. It harnesses 20-40 pounds, and as a harnessed seat, it's not *quite* a britax, but it does have fairly non-twist straps and a push button adjuster like the RA, and EPS foam like the Britaxes.
The Cosco Touriva (at walmart) or Regal Ride (Target), is s super duper basic seat, but it's got non-twist straps and it installs very easily, and has tallish top slots, and my main point is, it's REALLY narrow.
I'm sure one or the other of those would work...I know a mom with a 1995 2 door Civic and she has 2 Cargos and a Regal ride in there...she was persistent and it took some work, but they are all installed tightly (you don't want them to give the impression they are tight, just because they are crammed together...).

The longer you can keep them all harnessed, the easier your job will be. Buckling boosters can be a major pain in the knuckles when you have three across!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

andigal
03-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Thanks so much Juliefor the great info. I wasn't even thinking of changing the 3 yr old, I had it in my mind that I needed a booster seat of some kind for the 4 1/2 yr old. I'm so spoiled by the Britax seats, everytime I use another type of seat, I hate the straps and the release buttons, etc. But that idea might work, if you say the others are as easy and good as the Britax. I prefer the "harnass" and my older one actually likes it and can buckle and unbuckle it herself, which helps!

andigal
03-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi Julie, I'm back.......I went to BRU to see the Graco Platinum Cargo. I'm not sure why but I was so disapointed in it. The straps were so much harder to open and close, I guess I'm too spoiled by the Britax car seats to "trade down"! And I KNOW you said to move my 3 year old to this seat - but I think I'd rather find an option for my almost 5 year old who is able to handle the car seat fastening and unfastening on her own. So I was wondering if there is a Britax option for us?
I'm guessing that the Parkway is just as wide as the Marathon?
And then I've read that the only recommended booster by Consumer Reports is the Cosco Summit High Back - because of the movement in the shoulder strap. What are your thoughts on that? I think I'm going to have a width problem with that booster as well?

I ended up more confused than when I started out! Yikes!!
Thanks again.

Joolsplus2
03-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Ah, spoiled spoiled... If you didn't like the Cargo, you would want to kick the Summit to the curb...really, it's this WIDE seat with LOW top slots, POOR padding, and if I could get my hands on whatever the CR people are smoking to recommend it, I'd love to try that stuff out :D
You can try the Parkway...really, it's quite wide, but without armrests, you might not find it to be *such* a hassle to buckle.

:)

andigal
03-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks again Julie.

So I guess my only options for keeping my oldest in a 5 point harness is the Marathon and the Parkway which are both WIDE? You would think that Britax would come up with a booster solution that included the 5 point harness. From what I understand they have the only car seats that are good for over 40lbs with the harness. Ughhhh frustrating! I guess I need a minivan instead of a new carseat/booster! Its too hard to keep your children safe!

Thanks so much for all your wisdom!

Joolsplus2
03-22-2005, 03:02 PM
No...the parkways' not harnessed, just a booster :(.

The Husky would be the other option, and it's REALLY wide...though I've seen it next to other seats in even a Subaru wagon, so it's possible it could fit, but you might need a tech to help you get it in! :P

*Possibly* the Cosco Apex would work...it goes to 65 pounds and has tall top slots, and is narrower than the Husky, possibly wider than the Marathon. Main problem here is that the seat isn't shipping from the factory yet, and it could be six weeks before you can see it.

Does you center seat happen to have a shoulderbelt, or just a lapbelt? A narrow backless booster, while not strictly what you have been looking for, would put your eldest in the center and if I can help you get hold of the right model, won't be too hard to buckle at all.

andigal
03-22-2005, 03:30 PM
No my middle seat just has the lap belt (of course!) I currently have the Marathon on one side, the Roundabout on the other side and then tried to put the Graco infant car seat in the middle of both! Well you can imagine that didn't work too well! I can't imagine the Husky would be any better????? If I thought a tech could get all 3 to fit I would drive to your house!!!

I am in agreement with many of your previous posts about keeping my oldest in the 5 point harness for as long as possible. Plus I worry about how hard it would be to use a lap belt next to the infant car seat.

I might be able to hold out for 6 weeks........where can I find out more info on the Cosco Apex? Would you use it with your children?

Joolsplus2
03-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Hmm...wonder if that attachment will work...

I'd use it, but then again, I like the Cargo ;)

Also more pictures here (and of other seats...) http://www.pbase.com/carseat/lifesavers05
password: darren