PDA

View Full Version : Another Marathon or Better Choice for 2 yr. old?

chris0129
03-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Wow! There are so many posts on the car seat issue- (and I've read most), but still have a question! I'm in search of the quickest/smartest way to handle the next phase of my girls development. I have a 2 yr. old (30 lbs.) and an 8 month old (18 lbs). My 2 yr. old (Lauren) is in a Marathon and my 8 month old (Brooke) is outgrowing her Graco Snug Ride. Should I move Brooke to the Marathon and get a different seat for Lauren ...or just buy another Marathon? Is there a highly rated seat (>65 lbs.) with a 5 point harness or something just as safe that anyone would recommend? I'm not really sure what route to take. It's too early for a booster seat at this point (from what I understand), but I don't want to make a financially dumb decision for Lauren. I'm very happy that I read the boards early on regarding the Marathon because I have a great seat with a lot of room to grow (literally!) Thanks for any input!!
Chris

Joolsplus2
03-16-2005, 09:37 AM
I'd get a second Marathon, (Or wizard or decathlon...whichever, they are all good) personally. You'll get 5-6 years for each kid in each one, they are comfy, they are easy to deal with...you just can't go wrong :) Might even get cute matching covers if you want to do something fun like that ;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

chris0129
03-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Julie,
Thank you for your insight- we are all very lucky to have you on this website!
2 more questions for you. My friend is in the same situation as I am with the 2 kids and she just bought an Eddie Bauer 5-point harness combo. seat.
1.) What are your thoughts on this one? Any advantages over the Marathon or Husky. (I'm still up in the air about the last two mentioned). I thought I was close to making a decision and then she threw this one out at me!
2.) Will there be a longer "life" span on the Husky vs. the Marathon. I keep hearing how "big" it is, but I have a Toyota Highlander and I don't think space will be an issue. Aside from it's "largeness" is it a better investment (ie. Lauren might be able to be in it longer than the Marathon).
Thanks for all of your help- you are priceless with this info.!
Chris

Joolsplus2
03-20-2005, 10:33 PM
The HUGE drawback to the Cosco/Eddie Bauer seats is the LOW LOW LOW top harness slots...really, they are low... lower than the Roundabout! (some have a deceptively tall headrest that may NOT be used with the harness in the topmost position, but they are shady about pointing this fact out...)

The Husky or MA will each expire after 6 years....So functionally, yes, it may well last longer...but not by much... It's kind of lousy for sleep support for kids under age three...but we do have one and really like it (my 7.5 yo's main seat, and it won't expire till he's 9.5, and he'll probably still be using it then, he's a skinny fella!)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

chris0129
04-03-2005, 01:27 PM
To anyone interested, I read so many reviews on this topic and finally (after much consideration),went with the Huskey because of the extra height available. I wanted to get a seat that would support a growing toddler (who knows how tall she'll get), and this seat has the additional room. Plus, it looks more like a "big kid" seat vs. the Marathon and it isn't as heavy (bulky) as I thought- don't get me wrong, it is big, but not enormous. I feel this was a great purchase and am very happy with the quality. I think Lauren will like it, but we'll have to wait and see (I just installed it today). (I did have a few installation issues, but all is fine now- check a later post if interested). I'll let you know if there are any issues.
Chris