PDA

View Full Version : NEED JULIE's RECOMMENDATIONS

MI_MOM2
03-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Hi,

I appreciate all of your advice on this web site! Now, I could really use your help. My DS has outgrown his Snugride and I want to move him up to our DD's Roundabout. (I am aware of expiration dates). Now my DD needs a new carseat. She is 39" and 32 lbs. What seats to do recommend for her petite size. I think she is too small for a booster and we want the best protection for her as well as a long useful life of the seat. I like the idea of a 5 point harness. The kids primarily travel in a 2004 Envoy XL (middle row)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Joolsplus2
03-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Good morning! :)

I suspect you already know the answers I'm going to give, though...except that Britax has another seat to mention. Let me run them down for ya:

Britax Husky: Mondo seat. Will fit fine. Not great sleep support. Good choice if your DS is going to be a big guy.

Marathon: Bigger than, different LATCH and harness adjuster from your Roundabout.

Decathlon: Bigger than, same LATCH and harness adjuster as your Roundabout (only at BRU www.amazon.com right now).

Graco Platinum or Ultra Cargo: Only goes to 40 pounds, should be perfect for your dd, but do you think your son will be thin or big? If you think he'll be big, it's better to just get the MA or DC now, because they harness to a higher weight. Oh, the Cargo: push button harness adjuster, nice non-twist straps, EPS foam, good padding. Nice seat, but not *quite* the Britax quality you are used to.

Evenflo: any of their harnessed booster/combo seats (Chase, Traditions, Generations). No EPS foam, odd harness adjuster, either a dial or on the shoulder strap. Still, some kids and parents adore them, and they have nice tall harness slots, 20-40 pounds.

Safety 1st Intera: tall top slots, non-twist straps, harnesses to 40 pounds, extra backless booster for later (it's the base, it pops off!). Not a hot seller, but I really do like this seat (also a convertible, RF to 35 pounds, if your dd wants to ride RF like your ds for fun and extra safety ;) )

Ok that should keep you more than busy for awhile, researching those. Please DO post back with any more specific questions, and DON'T bother with any other Cosco/Safety 1st/Eddie Bauer seats, as other than the Intera or Apex (not on the market yet...how much time do you have till ds needs the RA?) they all have VERY low top slots, and she's probably too tall for them already.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

MI_MOM2
03-20-2005, 11:26 AM
WOW -- Thanks for your quick response, Julie! I am a true fan of Britax.

I guess I never thought to buy DS a new car seat that he will get a lot of use out of, like the Marathon. I can now keep my DD in the Roundabout until she is taller (43" right?) and ready for a booster seat. Do you agree?

What is your opinion on Britax's booster -- they say she has to be 43". I think she can stay in the Roundabout until she is ready for the booster, right?

So many decisions to make!

Thanks again!
Michele.

Joolsplus2
03-20-2005, 12:13 PM
I'd really put your DD in the Marathon/Decathlon, and use your RA RF for the baby, and then when she gets too tall for the MA, and the RA is close to expiring, then you can put him in the MA...that would really maximize use of both seats :)

When DD is 5 or six, you can put her in a booster...the Parkway starts at 38 inches, the top height on the RA is only 40 inches (or so), it's the Bodyguard that starts at 43 (and the Parkway is better, anyway...)

MI_MOM2
03-20-2005, 08:38 PM
THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU for your valuable advice.

One last question :D...or maybe 2 --
What is your opinion on the Wizard w/side impact padding? I am leaning towards the Marathon right now for my DD. I can only find the decathlon at BRU. I know I can get a better deal online. (babyuniverse.com, albeebaby.com, etc.)

Shopping online -- anything I need to be aware of? I don't want to end up getting a recalled seat.

THANKS AGAIN... you are the best!

Joolsplus2
03-20-2005, 10:27 PM
I really LIKE the wizard...but you *have* to try before you buy...some kids can be super-freaked out by the headwings... of course, if you know your kids and how they deal with that sort of thing, then maybe you CAN buy before you try, but it's going to be a pain to return anything online.

I love the MA, too...really, you can't go wrong with an MA :)

MI_MOM2
04-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Hi,

I have come down to 2 car seat choices for my 3 yr old DD (38" 32 lbs) The Britax Marathon or Graco Plantium Cargo. My DS will transfer into the RA asap.

My ultimate concern is safety. Would you agree that the Marathon would provide additional safety since she would be in a 5 pt harness after she reaches 40 lbs? The Cargo is only a 5pt harness until 40 lbs, right? What is the Consumer Report concern about the Marathon? I can't find the article quickly.

I thought my DD could move up to the Marathon or Cargo while my DS is in the RA. Once DS outgrows the RA, he can have the Marathon or Cargo while we get my DD a Parkway or other booster that is on the market at that time. What do you think of my game plan?

THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!!!

Lammy02
04-11-2005, 10:16 AM
I just purchased a Marathon for our main car and the Graco Platnium for the second car - the Graco is a 5pt harness for up to 40lb and a booster after that up to 80lb - I think one of the other posts said it could only be used up to 40 lbs. I purchesed the Marathon on line for $215 (includes tax and shipping)at www.albee.com. I moved my 5 month old out of the snugride and into the old roundabout and gave my 26 month old the new Marathon and Graco Platnium.

Joolsplus2
04-11-2005, 12:41 PM
The only problem with the MA in the RF postion with LATCH was that it overreclined by 5 degrees. The dummy still stayed completely in the seat shell and protected. NO issues with FF.

If you love Britax, go for it. If your kids are stringbeans that are unlikely to tip 40 pounds before they are too tall for either seat, anyway, then go for the Cargo. My dd is 5.5 and 36 pounds and almost too tall for the Marathon AND the Cargo :D.

Stockier kiddos? The Marathon might be a better choice so you never feel "rushed" to move a kid to a booster at 40 pounds, no matter how old or tall they are.

MI_MOM2
04-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. I was actually going to purchase the Marathon through Albee. I bought my Combi Twin through Albee via Ebay a few months ago. What a deal! I confirmed with Combi and Britax that Albee is an authorized dealer.

THANKS!