PDA

View Full Version : New booster seats for growing kids

csprague
04-07-2005, 09:20 AM
I have two children (daughter: 6 years, 40 lbs, 45" / son: 4 years, 40 lbs, 43") and two more babies on the way. My daughter is currently in the Century Breverra Convertable harness/booster seat and my son is in an old Britax Roundabout. The Britax is just about at the end of its' life and I will not use the Century seat as an actual booster, so I've realized it's time to buy a new seat (or seats). I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to go. My original idea was to put my daughter into a new booster (I know the Graco Turbo has gotten good reviews) and then give the Breverra to my son. Then I figured I should keep her in the five point restraint as long as possible (she's still on the small side and doesn't seem to complain about the restraint). Now I'm just confused. Biggest issues are as follows:
(1) I need to retire the Britax
(2) I need to find a seat that my son can operate himself (not the case with the Britax)
(3) I've got the next two babies to think about (in terms of overall expenditures on seats and viability of "hand me down").

HEEELLLLLP!!!

Joolsplus2
04-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Oh boy...this could be big money. First can I ask...when are the twins due, and do you have good infant seats for them? Then we'll get down and dirty with recommendations, I promise :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

csprague
04-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Big money...tell me about it!! The twins are due in August, and I do have good infant seats for them (just got hand me downs (only a year old) from a friend that recently had twins).

Joolsplus2
04-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Hmmmmm...well I think I'd go with a booster for the 6 yo, unless you are determined to harness her, and she'd be happy to be harnessed. The Turbo is fine, and the Britax Parkway is also a great choice.

If your 6 and 4 yo's still fit in Marathons, I might get them now, and then hand them down to the babies after the infant seats are outgrown and get the bigger kids boosters.... But I suspect your 6 yo might be too tall for the Marathon at this point :(

The Husky is great if you have room and want to keep her harnessed longer.

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx