PDA

View Full Version : Husky or Marathon

genevieve
04-13-2005, 01:48 PM
My DS is about to grow out of his RA. His shoulders are right at the top slot. He's 39.5" tall and 34 lbs at 38 months. My car currently has a Marathon and I am happy with it. I'm just wondering if I would be better off with a Husky. I know I will have to continue to use the MA in my Saturn...I don't think the Husky will fit. I think the Husky would fit in my husband's Pontiac Aztek fairly well. I would love to take a look at the Husky before ordering it but I cannot find a retailer in my area who stocks it. I'm a little nervous spending that much money sight unseen! If only Britax had a seat that converted from a 5-point harness to a booster! Has anyone used both? How is the Husky comfort wise? We will be driving from MI to FL in July to visit family and comfort is important!

Joolsplus2
04-13-2005, 09:52 PM
I have a Husky and a Marathon :) Love them both, no problems fitting in any small car (and like such a "big seat" in a smaller car, anyway ;) ). You might need to get him some sort of sleep pillow though, as sometimes a sleepy head can flop kind of bad in the Husky, compared to a Marathon. He's not too heavy for a Platinum Cargo or Evenflo Generations, though, and you might like one of those...they should last harnessed for a long time to come (till 40 pounds and they have top slots almost as tall as the MA).

I'd say at least check out those cheaper options before you really dive in and get a Husky. And, make sure he's not just at the top slots in the cover of the RA...he can go till his shoulders are *just* above the top slots in the plastic shell (the cover can slip down sometimes and look lower than it is), and maybe you can hold out a month or 2 for a Cosco Apex (harnesses to 65, then boosters to 100, and only costs about $130, but is not quite on store shelves yet)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

genevieve
04-14-2005, 05:41 AM
Thank you, Julie. I've looked at the Graco Platinum and it just doesn't look like the quality is as good as Britax. I've had an inexpensive Graco convertible seat and didn't really like it...especially since my DH had the RA in his car! The RA was much easier to deal with... no twisty straps, etc...

Hopefully the Cosco Apex will be out soon so that I can take a look at it. It just depends if DS has a growth spurt soon...he's about ready for one.

I did check slots of the RA and he's right at the top of the slot in the plastic shell. He's very long through the torso.

Michelle

Joolsplus2
04-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Yeah, A Graco ain't a Britax, I know. The comfortsport is way worse than the Cargo, though...I never recommend the comfortsport because the quality is so not there (The snugride is great, and the cargo is great, but they are asleep at the wheel with the comfortsport, IMO, lol).

Does he ride in dad's car often? If not so much, you can just move the MA back and forth if you have to...it's SO easy to install FF...

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx