PDA

View Full Version : Combo Seat dilemma--Please Help

mommy2threekiddos
04-13-2005, 04:44 PM
My aunt occasionally takes my 3 children (all 3 and under). She doesn't usually take them all at the same time, so we've been getting by just switching carseats from my car to hers. I have 3 RAs. My aunt wanted to purchase a carseat for her car and was about to go buy a cheapie at Wal-Mart. I told her absolutely not that I would research it and figure out which one to buy and then buy it for her. Well, I didn't realize that I would be opening a huge can of worms.

After my research I realized that my son is on the verge of outgrowing his RA. He's 38.5 lbs and 41 inches, although his shoulders are right at or a little bit below the highest strap. I never thought I'd have to buy another carseat for him (or any of my kids)after spending $600 on the RA. If the Marathon had been available when my twins needed convertibles, I definitely would have gotten them those, but they weren't & at the time I had a Lexus 300, so I don't know if they would have fit anyway.

I've pretty much decided that he's not ready (or rather I'm not ready) for a booster seat, so I'm going to buy a Marathon for my car, but I still need a seat for my aunt's car. I will eventually have to buy another Marathon (my twin girls are at the top of the growth chart too), but I'm hoping that by the time they outgrow their RAs, big brother (whose only 17 months older than the girls) will be ready for a booster.

So, I've been researching the combo seats for my aunt's car. I'm very discouraged. Everytime I think I've made a decision I change my mind or read something negative about the seat. After reading Toddler Bargains and consumer reports I had made up my mind that I'd get the Cosco Summit, but then after I realized that the top harness slots were no higher than the RA and he'd have to use it as a booster almost immediately, I changed my mind on that one. Plus, I saw it at BRU and I was very disappointed in it. So, then I started over and decided that the Graco Platinum Ultra Cargo was a better choice, but once again I was dissapointed in it after seeing it at BRU and a little worried about using it as a booster based on the whole slack issue. I liked the Evenflo one better, but then I read in Toddler Bargains that it's consumer reports rating as a booster was bad as well. I hate to spend $100 on a seat that he will outgrow in a matter of months and then he won't be able to use it as a booster (even though my girls will be able to use it).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J

I don't know what to do at this point.

Joolsplus2
04-13-2005, 09:45 PM
The Graco Cargos are actually GOOD as boosters, and they aren't the kind of belt guide that CR was complaining about. So if you like the harness otherwise (since you will be handing it down, anyway), then it's a fine choice and should last him harnessed until <drum roll> the Cosco Apex comes out in a couple of months, which goes to 65 pounds with tall top slots, and can be used as a booster from 40-100 and has open belt guides.

The Evenflo Generations is also a nice tall seat, and the Safety 1st Intera would also work for you.

Or you can just wait (maybe a month-6 weeks) to see if the Apex would work well for you, and in the meantime just transfer his new MA back and forth, or put the RA in her car (he can use it till his shoulders are *just* above the top slots and 40 pounds, which may take a few months for him).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mommy2threekiddos
04-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Thank you for your advice Julie.

What do you think about the Evenflo Chase Comfort? I liked the look of this one the best when I saw it at BRU the other day, and apparently the most recent CR--May 05 issue has given this seat a best buy rating, which gives me some comfort. The Graco Cargos looked good to me online, but in the store it looked so worn, even though it was a display model, which made me think that it wouldn't hold up well with everday use if it was already showing major signs of wear in the store display.

Thanks also for the heads up on the Apex, I never would have known that before, so maybe we'll just wait and see.

Janelle

Joolsplus2
04-15-2005, 05:19 AM
I really like the Chase (and any of the evenflo combo seats), too...they have nice tall top slots and are easy to use, in general.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx