PDA

View Full Version : Parkway or Turbo Booster

threeunderfour
04-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Its time to move the 6 month old out of his infant seat and into the Roundabout, bumping the 2 1/2 year old (37 lbs and 39 inches) up to the Marathon... which leaves the 4 year old (36 lbs and 41 inches) sans seat. The 4 year old is "mature" and pretty good about sitting still so I am leaning towards getting a booster seat for him. Here's my question:

Should I get the Parkway or the Turbobooster (understanding that whatever I get will eventually be inheritied by at least one of his brothers down the line). As I already noted, the 2 1/2 year old is a hefty, solid kid, while the 4 year old has a much more slender build.

I have a suburban with captains chairs so fitting 3 across is not an issue for me (luckily). We also do long drives in the summer -- so something comfy for the 4 year old might be a consideration (in case he falls asleep -- which is rare)

Julie, any advice....

Joolsplus2
04-24-2005, 06:23 PM
The Parkway's a litle bigger, better for sleep support, IMO, but try them both, they are both great, and the newer Turbos are better for sleeping than the old ones were.
Don't assume you're handing it down, because kids need to be in boosters till about age 10-12, and it'll expire after 6 years (and a lot of 10 yo's still fit in the Parkway...the Turbo's narrower and shorter)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Deborah_Hogan
04-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Julie (and all experienced Parkway and Turbo users...)

I've been waiting for Parkways to get back in stock at Right Start. Actually, I've also been waiting in case Britax starts making a nicer fabric for the Parkway. I love Britax seats and had every intention of buying Parkway for my now 4-year-old.

However, I was surprised head part so wobbly.

Turbobooster actually looks nicer, more compact, seems less wobbly--cheaper. Thinking about it... But concerned how safety rating is compared with Britax.

In terms of safety, how close in safety are these two seats? I usually think of Britax as the safest.

Joolsplus2
04-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Britax tests the Parkway in a frontal/side impact test that mimics how your car would be T-boned as you are moving forward through an intersection, to make sure the head stays contained within the headwings. The Turbo has no such testing, but is clearly designed for at least some side impact protection. If I had side curtain airbags, I'd probably feel comfortable putting my kiddo in a Turbo (I'm sure dd would love a Disney Princess Turbo, lol), but since I don't, I personally feel more comfortable keeping them harnessed as long as possible or in the Parkway.

Do you think the floor model you saw was just a little mishandled, maybe? I only have my Parkways here, my Turbo is at Grandma's, so I can't put them side by side for comparison :(

At any rate, they DO both pass the forward crash testing requirements and ARE both quite safe...it just depends on how nervous you are about side impacts (very rare, but surprisingly deadly)

HTH,

Deborah_Hogan
04-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks Julie. I am worried about side impact. People around here just drive out any which way regardless of moving traffic. Bummer about that Disney Princess Turbo! Wish Britax would stick some princesses on the Parkway...

Joolsplus2
04-27-2005, 04:51 PM
LOL about Britax and princesses...we have two Parkways in the BRU cover...silver and black...thank god the black seat is the same black velour as Bitsy's favorite party dress, so she LOVES it, but it's pretty boring compared to our fun old Fiesta Bodyguards or the Princess Turbo!

threeunderfour
04-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the responses,Julie. Made up my mind to get a Parkway. Now, I can't *&$# find one. All the online sites are out of stock and the one place near us that carries 'em says they have 4 coming and they are all sold. They cannot get anymore any time soon -- they could've sold those 4 five times over. Ugh!!!! Anyone with ideas? I need to get the 6 month old out of the infant carrier.

Joolsplus2
04-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Oh UGH! Darn that Britax production issue(they just can't work their 150 assemblers any faster...And I've been to their factory, those people are working FAST! lol).

You know...the Turbo is a great seat for a spare and it travels well (can be dismantled and packed when you travel by air)...maybe a cheap one would be ok for now while you are on a waiting list for a Parkway?