PDA

View Full Version : One year old with an overwhelmed daddy

majorgene
04-26-2005, 11:38 AM
My little one has just outgrown his Combi car seat. He is 28 inches and about 21 pounds (a little guy). What kind of car seat would be a good convertable seat for him?

Joolsplus2
04-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Do you just want the simplest, no-thought-on-your-part answer? Just go with a Britax Marathon. Keep him rearfacing till a full 33 pounds, and then forward facing till he's about age 6, then you can shop for boosters (he'll need one till age 10 or 12, but don't get ahead of yourself).

If you want to spend more, the Britax Decathlon or Boulevard are also great, and the same size.

Do you want a whole run down of all the other choices and why they are good? I really don't mind, but I don't want to make you have to think more than you have to, lol.

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

majorgene
04-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Julie,

If you don'y mind running down the rest of the alternatives. If not for my sake, then for the others who will hopefully look at this for research.
I must how much I appreciate your response, and the fact that you are willing to take the time to respond.

Joolsplus2
04-26-2005, 04:11 PM
No problem at all :)

Those were the seats with the tallest top slots, and guaranteed to keep even the tallest kids harnessed to about age 5 (and up to 65 pounds, though most hit the height limit well before the weight limit). Seats that last a few years, and are still quite good, in order of my favorites are these:

Britax Roundabout...sort of a junior Marathon...it has all the features of the Marathon and cousins, but is smaller, only goes to 40 pounds, and will last most kids to about age 4 (though big kids are out of it at 2.5).

Evenflo Triumph: Has a wacky harness system, so try before you buy, and is not great for rearfacing (only to 30 pounds, and most kids max out at 14 months, too tall to rearface), but it has tall top slots for forward facing and gets most kids to age 4.

Cosco Touriva or Regal Ride: Cheap, but very easy to use properly. Tall top slots, high rearfacing limits. Needs a rolled towel or pool noodle for decent rearfacing recline. Usually a great second or travel seat, but fine for everyday use.

Safety 1st Intera: Good for rearfacing, tall top slots, comfy, easy to use properly...but almost always requires a locking clip for proper installation rearfacing and forward facing (retracting the shoulderbelt tends to make it tip up...obviously not an issue if you use LATCH in approved LATCH position)

Cosco Alpha Omega: Will NOT be the last seat you ever need, it has low top slots, and is crummy as a booster. But for extended rearfacing and an adequate convertible seat, it's OK (especially on sale...full price is overpriced, IMO) It's easy enough to use correctly, and installs well.

Graco Comfortsport: Twisty straps, difficult to adjust the harness in rearfacing mode, low top slots.

Other Evenflo convertibles (vanguard/titan/tribute) are difficult to use, low top slots, most people don't like them.

Of course, any seat you look at should be the version with the 5-point harness (not an overhead shield).

Hope that helps! :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx