PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat Cover Question

rachel508
05-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Hello! I am an avid lurker here but hardly ever post. I want to thank you all for your information and insights; you've helped me make numerous decsions without even knowing it!

I have a question about car seat covers. How much do they contribute to the safety of the car seat?

My DD will outgrow her infant carrier car seat soon and graduate to my DS's Britax Roundabout. We will purchase a Britax Marathon for him. I'm not fond of any of the seat covers for the Marathon. So, I looked on eBay to see if I could find a previous year's seat cover (not whole car seat) that I would like better. I came across an auction from a woman who makes car seat covers for RA's, MA's, and Wizard's from fabric that you send her. She says the pattern she uses is from a store, not Britax, but that the covers fit really well. From the pictures, they look great and even fit the headwings of the Wizard.

I was just wondering if there are any safety reasons not to do this. My kids' safety definitely comes first. It's a petty concern compared to other issues; I just wasn't sure where else to ask. If you have any thoughts, I would love to hear them.

Thank you for your time,
Rachel

Joolsplus2
05-12-2005, 08:04 PM
The main problem is, the government requires car seat covers to be flame retardent, and I'm pretty sure hers aren't. If that's not a problem for you (Honestly? I think flame retardent covers were mandated because of parents smoking and flicking embers in the back, rather than hollywood-style car explosions, though).

Britax has promised a batch of new covers soon, maybe you want to hold out and see what's cute of that bunch before you spend a lot of money on a custom cover? (Oh, I've been to the Britax factory/test facility, they test those covers to the max...pouring "sweat" on them and putting them under strong UV lights and "sanding" them with abrasion machines...that's why something so simple as a cover costs so much).

Anyway, keep the ebay link to "britax cover" in your favorites, you never know when a decent cover might pop up for a good price...I just sold the cutest Safari cover, practically brand new, for only $37...not that I have any more to sell, but you just never know who might :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

rachel508
05-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Thank you so much, Julie! Great information! I can't wait to see the new covers.

Thanks again,
Rachel