PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Britax carseat/booster for son

mommyofboys2
06-13-2005, 11:01 PM
I am needing some input from moms who have gone before me on the whether to purchase a Britax Huskey or Parkway for my 3 yr. old son. He is 31 lbs. and 36 inches tall. I know that the Huskey takes up for space in the car but like the 5 point harness option. And then there is the Parkway - a "big boy" seat. I have a niece who has a Britax Star Riser and is only a tad bigger than my son and my sister in law feels that she isn't supported very well in the booster compared to the Roundabout so that makes me want to lean more towards getting a Huskey. However I don't want to then turn around and buy a booster when he is 4 or older and doesn't want to sit in the "baby seat" but is still way under the weight limit of the Huskey. Do I have a delema or am I just reading too much into it? Thank you!

schums
06-14-2005, 08:42 AM
My 3 year old is 40+ pounds and 40"+ and is in a Husky. And he'll stay in the Husky until I feel he's mature enough for a booster seat full time (at least another year, maybe longer). I like the safety that the 5 point harness gives. I doubt my son will be in the Husky until he is 80 pounds, but at least I have the option of deciding when he goes to the booster. And then the Husky will get passed along to his younger sister.

HTH,
Sarah
Alex 3/2002
Catherine 8/2003

mommyofboys2
06-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Sarah..
Thanks for the imput. My son is in a Roundabout at the moment and is under the weight limit but is just so big for the seat as far as his legs, arms and head hanging over the sides (or atleast it seems that way). My other son is 4 months and in his Roundabout rear facing. I love my Britax seats & want to make the right decision on safety, afforabitily and longevity in going from a carseat to a booster. Again thank you.. I appreciate your advice.
Blessings,
Bethany
Mommy of 2 fantastic boys
Broghan 5/02 & Avan 2/05

alkagift
06-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Just my completely uninformed opinion, I would think that he wouldn't get aggravated about the chair not being "big boy" enough for a while yet. Have you tried getting him to sit in both of them at a store, or better yet, in your car? That might help you make a decision.

I always say go with your mommy instict!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

murphydog77
06-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi. A 3 year old is way too young to be sitting in a booster seat--the maturity just isn't there. I had to move my 50 lb. 4.5 yr old ds into one in our 2nd vehicle last summer and it took a few months of training to get him to sit properly in it. He is still in a Super Elite (predecessor to the Husky) in our van.

Your ds is smaller than my 3 yr old dd (she's 32 lbs./38") and she fits great in a Britax Marathon. Have you considered that option? Has he even outgrown his Roundabout? (Tops of ears above top of seat or shoulders above top harness slots). The Husky is also a good option if you plan to harness him for several more years, which I highly encourage you to do since I believe it's much safer. Harnesses fit closer to the body than a seat belt does and kids are more restricted in movement in them--they just can't bend over and pick up a toy, for instance. That's what keeps them safe in a crash.

As for being in a "baby seat," that's where your attitude toward car seats comes into play. If you call it a "baby seat," so will he. None of my 5.5 yr old ds's friends and classmates are harnessed, but AFAIK, he's never been teased about it. He has mentioned probably twice that he wanted to ride in a booster in our van, but I told him it wasn't as safe as his harnessed seat and he hasn't said anything since. If your ds is starting to complain about being in a harness (or even if he isn't), I would be positive when buckling him in by saying things like, "wow, you're lucky to get to sit in such a safe, comfy seat."

HTH!

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.CarSeatSite.com

mommyofboys2
06-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Thank you for your imput. He doesn't complain now about sitting in his Roundabout but thanks for the reminder that his attitude starts with my attitude and yes I want him to be in the saftest seat possible. His shoulders are above the shoulder harness slots and ears are above the top of the seat barely and that is why we're looking into a new seat. I think with all this imput and going with my mommy instint that we'll be purchasing a Husky. I would like to find a store that actually has one to view. I know Babies R us carries Britax but I don't think they have the Husky - do you know of any store? Thanks again!
Blessings,
Bethany
Mommy of 2 fantastic boys:
Broghan-3 yrs.
Avan-4 months

murphydog77
06-16-2005, 11:33 PM
BRU doesn't carry the Husky unfortunately. I think USA Baby does, if you have one of those. Usually baby boutiques do, like Bellini and other small individually owned stores do.

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.CarSeatSite.com

schums
06-17-2005, 09:15 AM
If you have a Right Start store near you, they carried them when we got ours (about 15 months ago).

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

mommyofboys2
06-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks again. We don't have a Right Start store here (OK) but I will call around to some smaller baby stores to see if they carry the Husky.

Blessings,
Bethany
Mommy of 2 fantastic boys:
Broghan-3 yrs.
Avan-4 months

Joolsplus2
06-17-2005, 08:29 PM
At 31 pounds, he's so light he doesn't really NEED a Husky, he would probably quite fine in a Graco Platinum Cargo or Evenflo Generations, which both have nice tall top harness slots (fit most kids to 5 and 40 pounds, really)...so if you can't find a Husky (I DO love our Husky! I'm about to have 2...one for my 8 yo and one for my 6 yo!)...They are just VERY large seats, and it would expire long before it is outgrown...also, it's not superb for sleep support, because it IS so large and roomy (really, perfect for kids about age 5-10...it's very comfortable for them).

Anyway, just another 2 cents ;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

hellbennt
07-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Mommy to Jonah 7/17/03

Oooh, I'm so confused...
Ds is 2 (tomorrow!) and is 31 lbs & 34" tall-
he is currently rear facing in our Britax Marathon in the center of the backseat of my Honda CRV

He is starting preschool next month (I have to return to work after taking 2 years off as Leave of Absence)& I need to get 2 more carseats, as dh & MIL will be helping getting him to and from preschool...

Do I just go broke and get 2 Huskies? Or go for the Graco Platinum Cargo or Evenflo Generations? Can he be rear facing in Graco Platinum Cargo or Evenflo Generations?

Would any of these easier for 'older' MIL to get him into/out of?
Dh has a Toyota Previa and MIL has a Chevy Trailblazer if this makes any difference?

TIA,
~laura in miami

Mommy to a sweet baby boy
07-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Is your ds going to be in either of these two cars for extended periods of time?
Do you plan on harnessing your son to the maximum limits of the seat and maybe buying a husky anyways?
Are you planning on having any more children that you would be able to pass these seats onto?
Do you have a baby store nearby that you could take your son to try out him sitting in these seats, that you could try the instalation, the buckle, etc?

The platinum cargo and evenflo generations are both ff combo seats that can be used with the harness from 20-40 lbs and without i believe to like 70- i could be wrong on this # though.

if you could let us know about this info it would help us help you decide what to do.

hellbennt
07-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Thank you for your reply!
I will answer your questions

>Is your ds going to be in either of these two cars for
>extended periods of time?

He'll be in the car going back & forth to preschool, about a half hour trip each way & maybe some other errands.

>Do you plan on harnessing your son to the maximum limits of
>the seat and maybe buying a husky anyways?

I'm on the fence about the husky...I would like to harness ds to the max limits of the seat

>Are you planning on having any more children that you would be
>able to pass these seats onto?

I would like to have another baby this time next year :-)

>Do you have a baby store nearby that you could take your son
>to try out him sitting in these seats, that you could try the
>instalation, the buckle, etc?

Does Babies R Us Carry these seats? If so, then yes.

>The platinum cargo and evenflo generations are both ff combo
>seats that can be used with the harness from 20-40 lbs and
>without i believe to like 70- i could be wrong on this #
>though.

Thank you for your time!!
~laura

Mommy to a sweet baby boy
07-22-2005, 08:12 PM
I think that since you have a ds who could inherit the seat/s you could buy your ds one marathon and 1 husky. This way when your younger child outgrows his roundabout/when it expires- whatever comes first- you will have the MA for your younger ds.
Do you know when your RA expires? If it is the next year or two i would buy your older ds a MA-or two if you need two. Then when it expires you can put your younger ds into the MA and you can buy your older son the husky. If your RA does not expire anytime soon i would buy your older ds 2 huskys. This way he can use them untill your next child is ready. It is very confusing to figure it out like this but you want to get not only the full use of the carseat from the child but also from the life of the carseat.
Once your older ds is around 6/7 if he is in the husky you can move him into a low back bpb and move your next child into the seats.
I do not believe that babies r us carries the husky. Do you have any baby boutiques or nice baby stores that carry it. This would just be to try your son in the seat and to try the seat in your car. I would reccomend purchasing whatever seat you buy online because you can get much better prices online unless a store is having a major sale!

hth

hellbennt
07-23-2005, 10:57 AM
>I think that since you have a ds who could inherit the seat/s
>you could buy your ds one marathon and 1 husky. This way when
>your younger child outgrows his roundabout/when it expires-
>whatever comes first- you will have the MA for your younger
>ds.
>Do you know when your RA expires>

thank you for your reply!
I have a marathon, not a roundabout- the previous poster has the roundabout, I've got a marathon:-)
anyway, I *think* Im going to go for the evenflo generations/bolero...& maybe a husky,too...
I just love our marathon!
Thanks again,
~laura

Mommy to Jonah 7/17/03