PDA

View Full Version : Boosters with just lap belts?

Deborah_Hogan
06-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Here's a thought for vacations and plane travel...

Let's say I don't want to carry 2 Marathons on vacation. Older child (43lbs, 43 inches) could ride on plane without a seat.

Is there a booster seat that could be used with just a lapbelt? I'm thinking of riding in cabs etc. A booster would be smaller and lighter to take, plus we can't get 2 adults and 2 marathons in most vehicles, such as cabs. But many cabs only have lapbelts (if belts at all). Marathon could be buckled with belt only, but what about booster seats?

Thanks for your insights!

momtoB
06-14-2005, 04:55 PM
According to http://www.carseatsite.com/babycenter_links.htm FAQ:
"Q42: My car only has lapbelts, what can I do?

Lapbelts alone are not safe for any passenger, though they are better than no restraint at all. Some suggestions:

* A lapbelt is usually fine for installation of a carseat. This includes most infant, convertible and forward facing carseats with a harness. In rare cases, a lapbelt that does not keep a carseat tight may need a special belt-shortening clip.
* A lapbelt is NOT adequate for a booster. Children in booster seats must have a lap AND shoulder belt for protection.
* Some carseats like the Britax Marathon, Wizard, Boulevard, Decathlon, Husky, Nania Airway and Cosco Apex may be solutions for those who have an older child (above 40 pounds) who must be in a lap only belt. EZ-On (800-323-6598) also makes a Harness/Vest that may work in some cases. You may also be able to find discontinued models like the Fisher Price Futura, Britax Laptop, or Britax Super Elite."

hth,
Cheryl
ds-4/21/03

murphydog77
06-15-2005, 07:24 PM
The E-Z-On 86-Y harness is in the process of being tested with a crotch strap right now and that would eliminate the need for any booster use (you would use a booster now to position the lap belt properly, if needed). So, once that passes with the crotch strap, that would be the ideal solution for travelers and taxi users.

The problem with it is that most vehicle tether anchors are rated to 40 lbs. (Ford's are rated to 60 lbs., I believe), so even though the 86-Y is rated to 168 lbs., you won't be able to use it in a taxi past 40 lbs. because the tether anchor won't be strong enough to hold the weight.

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.CarSeatSite.com