PDA

View Full Version : big 2-year-old and Parkway booster seats

pundito
06-26-2005, 09:47 PM
my son was born 3/11/03 and is already 38 inches tall and 40 pounds. He has grown out of his Graco Comfortsport.
What are the maturity issues people keep talking about with younger kids and a booster seat? I tried the Britax Parkway on him and at his size, the fit is fine. The Parkway does not have an age limitation and seems to have a lot of head support.

he is bright, active, responsive, good at following instructions and has ok posture for a modern kid.

We are also asking our pediatrician, but what are the actual reasons that people don't want to put a young kid into a booster? I don't know what the "maturity issues" listed in the book and the posts mean?

Thanks

Joolsplus2
07-01-2005, 05:58 PM
My bright, mature 2 yo had to sit in a booster at grandma's house, and kept unbuckling, putting his shoulderbelt under his arm, falling asleep and falling forward and right out of his seatbelt. It was a mother's greatest nightmare trying to keep him properly restrained...heck, even now at age 7, he still leans out of his booster too much when he gets to ride in it!

Most kids are just seriously not mature enough to understand the incredible importance of sitting properly in a booster seat till they are at least 4 or older, and you'll drive yourself crazy yelling at him to put his belt back on, no matter how mature he seems out of the car (believe me, I know MANY mom's who've been through this :( ).

Beyond that, a booster is simply a step down in protection. 5 pt harnesses are safer in more types of crashes. Are you really ready for your teeny little guy to be less than optimally protected against the number one cause of death and injury to children his age? (just something to think about, you know?)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

pundito
07-01-2005, 06:03 PM
how does your kid reach back? i read a lot of parents citing this problem, but in my camry, the seatbelt holster part is so recessed that it is a pain to use, and basically sits under the parkway booster, so that i can barely reach it, and he cannot at all.

Stpatrick_Aidan
07-03-2005, 11:09 AM
I agree with Julie, they aren't mature enough and it is demotion in their safety to put them in a booster at that young of age. I have a 3 year old, 3/17/02. He is mature in all aspects, really ahead for his age. Put him in a booster, he is out of it in seconds because he can and he simply does not understand/care that he needs to stay put everytime. Sure, they can do it for you on occasion but they have to remain in their seats sitting appropriately every single time and for the whole ride. Children under 4 simply are not capable of doing that. What if you get in a crash and 2 seconds before that your child leans out of their seat belt or unbuckles themself? That wouldn't be an issue in a harnessed seat. That is the level of maturity that we are talking about.

Shauna, CPST and mom to 3
Brenyn 6-Bodyguard, Aidan 3-Husky, Ciaran 9 months-Wizard

pundito
07-03-2005, 02:34 PM
thanks so much