PDA

View Full Version : Booster Seat or Car Seat?

mom2GR8boys
07-04-2005, 12:48 PM
My son just turned 5 but only weighs 36 lbs. He is in a Britax Roundabout (since he was little). I also have a 1 year old that has outgrown his infant car seat. I would like to get my 5 year old in a booster seat and move my 1 year old to the Roundabout. My question is, does my son weigh enough to be in a booster seat to be safe? I do not want to waste the money on another car seat if my son can be safe in a booster seat. Any suggestions I would deeply appreciate.

Thanks!
Sherri

Joolsplus2
07-04-2005, 02:29 PM
For a 5 yo, I would probably go with a booster (as long as he can sit properly in it...no ADD issues or anything?)...BUT...how old is your Roundabout? Those expire after 6 years, and you'll need to replace it with something else when it does.

Anyway...are boosters safe? Yes, very. Are harnessed seats safer? When used properly, yes. (not a lot of data to prove much either way, yet, since so few kids are harnessed a long time). Since you have handmedownability, there's no wasting any amount of money, if you want to keep your 5 yo harnessed longer, honestly. Here are lots of big kids harnessed http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/ffalbum.aspx (My dd's in the yellow seat, but she's also ridden in boosters from age 3 or so...just depends on the car and the situation, for us)

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mom2GR8boys
07-05-2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks so much Julie. I wasn't aware that my oldest son's car seat would expire in a year so based on your advice I think I'll leave him harnessed for as long as I can and buy another new car seat for my 1 year old. I'll put my oldest in a booster seat within the next year. I'm assuming Britax is still the best way to go? I have no clue as to what is the best booster seat - any recommendations? Thank you so much.

Sherri

Joolsplus2
07-05-2005, 10:39 AM
We adore our Britax Parkways...very easy to use and great sleep support and side impact protection. The Graco Turbo is a close second, though it doesn't adjust *quite* as big for older kids, and you may end up with a bigger backless booster for the last couple years (the $15 cosco ambassador is terrific, though, so no worries about spending heaps more money!). The Compass B500 is nice, but kind of short in the back, and not great for sleep support if you have a napper. The Evenflo Big Kid/Everest is a pretty good choice, too. And if you are holding off shopping for a few months, there's a new Recaro booster coming out (The Young Style) that looks promising, and the Jane' Indy is going to be gorgeous when it finally hits shelves...so just keep your eyes peeled for cool new seats!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Mommy to a sweet baby boy
07-08-2005, 08:38 PM
I do not know if you would like this idea but what you could do would be to move your one year old into the roundabout and buy a marathon for your older son to use. Then when the roundabout expires in about a year your son may weigh more and be better maturity wise for a bpb and you can move your one year old into the marathon. If you do this you would get the maximum out of the roundabout by using it untill its expiration date and out of the marathon because when it expires your one year old will be ready for a bpb as well.

hth and it makes sense

if you would like clarification let me know

Mommy to a sweet baby boy
07-08-2005, 08:38 PM
I do not know if you would like this idea but what you could do would be to move your one year old into the roundabout and buy a marathon for your older son to use. Then when the roundabout expires in about a year your son may weigh more and be better maturity wise for a bpb and you can move your one year old into the marathon. If you do this you would get the maximum out of the roundabout by using it untill its expiration date and out of the marathon because when it expires your one year old will be ready for a bpb as well.

hth and it makes sense

if you would like clarification let me know