PDA

View Full Version : Weight limit on B500

foreright360
07-08-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm thinking about purchasing the Compass B500 for my 2 yo daughter who will be 3 next month. She weighs 28lbs and is about 36" tall. I know the requirements are 30-100 lbs who are 36" to 57" tall. Do you think the seat is safe enough for her to use even though she's barely under the requirements?

foreright360
07-08-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm thinking about purchasing the Compass B500 for my 2 yo daughter who will be 3 next month. She weighs 28lbs and is about 36" tall. I know the requirements are 30-100 lbs who are 36" to 57" tall. Do you think the seat is safe enough for her to use even though she's barely under the requirements?

Joolsplus2
07-08-2005, 09:36 AM
That is truly a horrible, horrible seat for a kid under about 5 (ugh, not to sound dramatic, but you would not believe the complaints I've heard from parents who were misguided into buying this seat for young toddlers)...it's really wide, and there's very little sleep support. In fact, she'd be much safer harnessed to a full 40 pounds. The only reason boosters start at 30 pounds is to accomodate the skinny 5 year olds who are too tall for harnessed seats :).

I'd really recommend a harnessed seat since she is so young...it really, truly, is much much safer (we should all have 4 or 5 point harnesses...three point harnesses...lap/shoulderbelts...are almost completely useless at protecting our upper bodies in deadly side impact crashes).

The Graco Ultra/Cherished/Platinum Cargo is a nice "big girl" seat that has tall top slots, non-twist straps, and good padding and sleep support, and can be used as a nice booster later...and the Evenflo Generations/Traditions/Chase are nice seats, too, if you like the harness adjustment mechanisms on them. They can also be used as boosters later.

Or you can splurge on a Marathon and put her rearfacing again...that's really the safest way for a kid to ride, as long as they fit in the seat properly (sounds crazy, I know, but check the link in my sig...my dd LOVED riding rearfacing till she was 4.5 and 33 pounds)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Joolsplus2
07-08-2005, 09:36 AM
That is truly a horrible, horrible seat for a kid under about 5 (ugh, not to sound dramatic, but you would not believe the complaints I've heard from parents who were misguided into buying this seat for young toddlers)...it's really wide, and there's very little sleep support. In fact, she'd be much safer harnessed to a full 40 pounds. The only reason boosters start at 30 pounds is to accomodate the skinny 5 year olds who are too tall for harnessed seats :).

I'd really recommend a harnessed seat since she is so young...it really, truly, is much much safer (we should all have 4 or 5 point harnesses...three point harnesses...lap/shoulderbelts...are almost completely useless at protecting our upper bodies in deadly side impact crashes).

The Graco Ultra/Cherished/Platinum Cargo is a nice "big girl" seat that has tall top slots, non-twist straps, and good padding and sleep support, and can be used as a nice booster later...and the Evenflo Generations/Traditions/Chase are nice seats, too, if you like the harness adjustment mechanisms on them. They can also be used as boosters later.

Or you can splurge on a Marathon and put her rearfacing again...that's really the safest way for a kid to ride, as long as they fit in the seat properly (sounds crazy, I know, but check the link in my sig...my dd LOVED riding rearfacing till she was 4.5 and 33 pounds)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx