PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about the Cosco Summit?

munchiesmommie
07-12-2005, 12:20 PM
We are looking to get a new seat for our 2.5 year old son. He is 35 lbs and 38" tall. The Cosco Summit has the 5 point that we will still need for several years, and also has the seat belt positioner for older children....so it sounds like this would be the last seat we would need to buy him, provided we didn't get involved in any accidents.

Anyone have one of these? Likes/dislikes?

Oh and we have a Dodge Grand Caravan...if that matters any.

Thanks in advance!

Alyssa

hipmaman
07-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Uh, the harnessed weight limit on the Summit is only 40 lbs, so your son only has another 5 lbs, if you go with the Summit. That might take him to a tad over 3 yrs old and then he has to be in it without harness and only with the lap-and-shoulder seatbelt.

I personally don't like seeing kids any younger than 4 yrs old in booster. They don't often have the maturity to sit still in a booster or they still fall asleep or slump in the booster, making the sitting in seatbelt/booster not safe.

If you would like to keep him in harness longer, I would look at the Britax Husky, Marathon or Wizard. They are for 5 pt harness until 80 lbs (husky) and 65 lbs (Marathon and Wizard).

Are you in the US or Canada? The reason I ask because in Canada, the Graco CarGo, Evenflo Chase, Vision and Traditions can be used with harness until 48 and 47 lbs, while only 40 lbs in the US. Thereafter, you remove the harness to use it as booster with lap-and-shoulder belt.

munchiesmommie
07-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Oh no I want him in a 5 point for several more years. As long as his height will allow it in fact.

I have been reading other comments about this seat and soon after I posted my question I realized it wouldn't work for us.

He does still fall asleep in the car a lot, so I would like something with a lot of head support. One of the reasons I liked the Cosco was the recline feature. His head flops over in the seat he is in now. Britax seats are a little out of our budget right now, I was hoping for something closer to $100 if its possible to get something safe for that price. Obviously safety comes first.

What are some other options? I was thinking about the Traditions also, but now that you mention the weight thing that won't work either.

hipmaman
07-13-2005, 06:41 AM
Looks like you are limited to the Britax seats. The good news is with new seats and covers coming out, we can expect the current ones going to be lower in prices.

The Regent is replacing the Husky. Marathon is still going to be around. Wizard is being replaced by the Boulevard. There are a whole bunch of Marathons with new covers that might make the current ones go cheaper.

So you can start watching out for sales on them. There are always discount coupons, rebates, free shipping, etc. that can be applied on top of the sale prices.

Do check out other forums like the Bargain alerts, Co-op and Carseat in Baby Bargains. Other moms post good prices, sales all the times.

munchiesmommie
07-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Do you know when they are due to come out? I can probably make do with the seat we have for a little longer, but I really hate it. I think the Husky would work best, they are just so darn expensive. I can't believe there are no other brands that have the same height and weight limits. Thanks so much for all the advice and help.