PDA

View Full Version : Graco Cargo vs. Britax Marathon

JElaineB
07-13-2005, 11:23 PM
DS is outgrowing his convertible seats heightwise (has already outgrown the ComfortSport and is getting close on the Touriva and RA, though the RA should last a good while yet). I am planning on getting a Graco Cargo (probably Cherished since that is what I can find locally) for MIL's car who will need it once a week or less. But for DH's car, I am wondering if I should go with another Cargo or a Marathon? I really don't think DS is going to reach 40 lbs. anytime soon (I don't think he is even 30 lbs. yet, but I'm not 100% sure) so height limits rather than weight limits are more a factor for me at this point. I would like to keep him harnessed as long as possible in both my and DH's car. So I guess my question is, which has higher top harness slots - the Cargo or the Marathon? Thanks!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Joolsplus2
07-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi :) Long time no see :)
The Marathon does have slightly taller top slots. But, my 5 yo a few months ago still had room to grow in the Cargo, and was only 37 pounds, so when you say, "harnessed as long as possible" do you mean 5 or 6 or 10? ;) I haven't tried her in a Cargo again, and she's almost 6 now, and almost at the top slots in her Marathon... I would have felt comfortable enough to put her in a booster even a whole year ago, if she had the Cargo and had outgrown it :)

Also, you might look at the Evenflo Generations or Bolero, as the top slots in it are quite high, and it has open belt guides for use as a booster, so you might like it for long-term use a little better than the Cargo... just something to consider.

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

JElaineB
07-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks Julie! I haven't had any car seat needs in a while so I haven't hit the car seat forums too much lately! I would say harnessed until 5 would be good, so it sounds like either choice (or one of the Evenflos) for DH's car would be ok. I will definitely go with the Marathon in my car when he outgrows the RA. I will definitely check out the Evenflo seats for MIL's car, I haven't bought the Cargo yet, but I have seen you recommend them a number of times so that is why I was planning on getting one. Thanks for the recommendations!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Joni
07-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Depending on the money you want to spend since it's going in a car that he only rides in occassionally, you may even want to look into an Evenflo Chase/Vision/Tradition since they run a little cheaper but have the same harness height. They do work as BPB later but not as good but if its only once a week it could save you $40-$50 since at our Kmart right now the Vision (I think) is only $50. The Bolero and other Evenflo seats turn into a "growing" BPB so they are worth the extra if you'll be using them a lot but for once a week trips, the cheaper model might suffice.

Joni CPST

JElaineB
07-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the input Joni. I think I will stick to one I know will work better as a BPB later, so MIL won't have too much trouble with it down the road. Hopefully this is the last seat I have to buy for MIL's car!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02