PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on boosters

hjdong
07-28-2005, 10:03 AM
O.k. I was all set to buy the Husky as it was being disconinuted (DS is not quite out of his current seat but I figured to get it while the sale was on) but the I realized that it wouldn't work in our truck because we couldn't tether it. Currently we have a sit and stroll that we use in the truck when we take it but he's going to outgrow it and we're going to beed the next seat to accomadate both cars. So, back to the drawing board.

So, I looked at www.carseatdata.org to see what seats could fit in the tuck, not be tethered, and be a high backed, harnessed booster and came up with the Cosco Eddie Bauer. Does anyone have any experience with this? The other possiblity, maybe, is to wait until the Apex comes out. He's 38" and in the midst of a growth spurt so the question is where the spurt stops.

TIA,

Joni
07-28-2005, 11:22 AM
The Apex is probably not coming out anytime soon. I like the Cosco seats BUT they have a lower harness height the the Graco or Evenflo combo seats. Graco Platinum Cargo tends to be more plush and has EPS foam but isn't the greatest as a BPB later. Evenflo has the Generation/Bolero that is a nice harnessed seat that is just 1 inch lower harnessed height than Marathon and turns into a growing BPB later. It only has a harness weight of 40 lbs but most people can keep their kids in the seat until at least 4 or 5 years old harnessed. Plus, they're much cheaper than Britax.
JONI CPST

Joolsplus2
07-28-2005, 07:36 PM
A Marathon (or Boulevard or Decathlon...they are all the same seat shell) might also work...really tall top slots on that and even with the higher harness weight it doesn't require top tethering (if you have shoulderbelts in the truck, then the shoulderbelt lockoff acts somewhat as a top tether, too). I also second the Graco or Evenflo seats...those are nice and tall and generally quite compatible (even if they aren't listed in the carseatdata chart)..you can even try them out at Babies R Us to see if they would work...

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

hjdong
07-31-2005, 03:27 PM
I just wanted to say thanks. We went to BRU today and coaxed DS into some seats and got the one he objected to the least. Oh, it was sooo much fun.

As it turns out, he was acutally very close to outgrowing his current seat (a Britax Galaxy). It's supposed to go to 40" but he's got a long torso and short legs. We had just decided to wait as long as we could and thought we should check the actual seat. Oops, we had about 1/4". Well, he's probably shifted the padding around. So I pushed the padding around, made sure the holes were all lined up, put him back in the seat. Oops, I just made things worse.

So, in case anyone is in a similiar situation. I'm sure the Marathon (and crew) would have worked fine. I was just looking to spend less money. He (DS) hated the Gracos. The seat is very deep so he was sitting very low; he could barely see out of the seat. So, the winner was . . . the Evenflo generations. Although it also says 40", he isn't even in the uppermost harness slots yet, so he definately has some growing room before he is going to have to be out of the harness.

Thanks again,

Joni
07-31-2005, 10:42 PM
Holly, Evenflo seats and Graco seats (COMBOS) go to 44" so you've got a little more time. I have a string bean daughter and I also have an Evenflo Combo because I too wanted to save money. You've got a little time, maybe you can make it to 4 years, I know we're sure hoping to!
JONI CPST
Harleigh (I turn 4 in March, maybe I'll weigh enough to use a booster then!)

Joolsplus2
08-04-2005, 07:28 AM
Cool..that's really not a bad seat...and my 5 yo dd still fit in it when I tried her (she was 36 pounds), so I was impressed with the harness height.
Post back in a couple years and tell us how it is as a booster ;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx