PDA

View Full Version : 3-yr-old and the school bus

calimom2be
08-01-2005, 02:18 PM
My three-year-old son just started a summer preschool program, and he is taking a little yellow school bus there and back, about 25 minutes each way.

Currently he is sitting in a booster seat with a lap belt. I'm concerned in part because my son is falling asleep on the way home. When I asked the driver how is he staying up in his seat, she said the matron has been putting a pillow between him and the wall. Obviously that's more about comfort. In our own car our son is now using a Britax Marathon (thanks to this board), and of course I feel he is much safer in this, not to mention probably more comfortable too when he falls asleep on occasion.

What I'd like to know from any parents or safety experts here is what does your young child ride in on the bus? Did you buy the seat you wanted yourself or did the bus company provide it? (I am willing to buy the seat, though I'm asking b/c I notice none of the other five or so children on my son's bus have a convertible seat and they are also all three years old.)

I like our driver OK enough and her bus (which she takes home with her every day, so it's always the same bus), but the bus company is another story, as other schools and parents have had many issues with them, I'm sorry to say.

Thanks for any input. I'd like to be prepared to discuss this with the driver.

momtoB
08-19-2005, 08:43 AM
I would be concerned too. What kind of booster seat is it? I'm not a CPST but I thought that you couldn't use a regular booster with a lap only belt because they are designed to be used with a 3-pt shoulder belt?