PDA

View Full Version : In need of guidance on booster seats!!

mamakaty
08-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Hi all. I'm in need of some guidance on a booster seat. My 3-1/2 year old is 42 pounds and 42 inches tall! He's in a Britax Marathon in my car (Ford Expedition) and I plan on keeping him in that as long as I can. However, my husband currently does not have a seat in his car for our son. We would like to get something so that he can ride in my husband's car, but we're talking maybe 2-3 times per month. Also, he drives a Ford Mustang, so I'm not sure what will fit. Any suggestions on what we should look for. I'd really love something with the 5-pt harness, but I've heard that most booster seats only use the harness until 40 pounds, and then it's the car's seatbelt that's used. I really don't think we could go with another Maraton or something along those lines in his car, but I'm just not sure what's the best way to go. Any advice and helpful hints would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Katy

Joni
08-13-2005, 08:11 PM
If your child is over 40 lbs, your only options for a 5 point harness is a Marathon or Husky but Britax. Actually there are several varieties of each seat with different features but ONLY Britax has harnesses for over 40 lbs. If your son is grown up enough to understand the importance of staying buckled, you could buy a bpb for your husband. I'm not a huge fan of putting a 3 year old in a booster but since he's over the weight of most harnessed seats AND you said another Marathon isn't really an option right now, you will either need to switch the carseat back and forth OR buy a good bpb. If you decide to go with a BPB I'd go for either a Graco Turbo booster or if your budget allows, a Britax Bodyguard or Parkway. All three have EPS foam like your marathon and are safe. The deciding factor is if your child is grown up enough to use a seatbelt. My daughter is also 3.5 and very tall and I just allowed her to use the booster this week for trial. She's doing okay but I still have the option of putting her back in the harness. It's crucial to emphasis staying still and buckled until the car turns off. Also, set a good example by always using your seatbelt. If you've got time, start talking about the importance of it before you let him try it out.
Like I said, if you're not ready for a bpb yet, you'll either have to get a Marathon or Husky (or a version of them) OR shuffle the Marathon you have now (not a fun option).
JONI CPST