PDA

View Full Version : airplane travel

KAD1204
08-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Thank you Julie and Joni for replying to my previous post regarding which booster/combination seat to purchase. This is a very helpful forum. My next question is this: My husband and I are flying in October (he's running the Milwaukee Marathon!) and we are taking both of our kids with us. Our DD will be almost 3 at that time and my DS will be 7 months. We purchased a seat for both of them. I guess we will plan to bring our Evenflo Triumph for DS. I've used it for airline travel in the past and had no issues with it....except that its a bit heavy and bulky to carry around. It does not need to be rear-facing on the plane, does it?? Also, we will have a combination/booster seat for DD by then. Is it safer for her to use this seat rather than the lap belt on the airplane? I hate to cart around all these car seats....but at the same time I do not want to compromise safety. I'm willing to do whatever is safest and appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks!

bensmom
08-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Yes - the seat should be used rear-facing on the airplane for a 7 month old. Have you looked at the Cosco Regal Ride/Touriva/Scenera (the Scenera is replacing the Regal Ride and the Touriva)? They're about $40-50 at Target/Walmart and great to travel with because they're really light. I only have one child, but that's what I use because I can carry the seat with one hand or toss it over the stroller.

(ETA: I don't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with taking the Triumph. Just wanted to give a suggestion for a relatively inexpensive, lightweight convertible seat).

As for DD, I personally would use the combo seat on the airplane, for a few reasons (I assume that she's under 40 pounds and still uses the harness):

It's probably safer because it's often hard for a 3 year old to sit properly in the lapbelt. Also, I won't check a carseat, so if I need the seat at my destination, I need to use it on the plane. I've had checked luggage show up hours after me too many times (and I've seen piles of gate-checked strollers sitting at the airport). I wouldn't want to reach my destination and not have a seat.

HTH!

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom to a 19 month old

Joolsplus2
08-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Just agreeing with Ilana on every count. It'll be a pain to deal with on the plane, yes, but you will be SO glad you have familiar comfortable seats at your destination (I've kicked myself a few times for taking trips to grandma's without my good seats, trust me!)

God luck to DH with his Marathon! cool!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Joni
08-22-2005, 06:12 PM
I totally agree. When I flew to Cal with Harleigh, I used her Evenflo Chase combo and it really helped remind her that this was much like being in a car and that I expected her to stay buckled. Sitting in a lap only belt made my niece think that she had a lot more freedom and it was really nice to have Harleigh's seat to reinforce staying buckled. It is rough lugging seats and kids through the airport but I'd grab one of those carts the instant you get in put both seats on that.
JONI CPST