PDA

View Full Version : Best booster seat for a 7 year old?

starfish1995
08-27-2005, 02:40 PM
My 7.3 year old son is tall and thin. He is 50 inches tall and about 50 pounds. What would be the best option for him for a booster seat? Our Toyota Camry does have side curtain airbags, but he sometimes travels in my husband's Ford Taurus which does not. Any suggestions on a safe but comforatble booster for a 7-8 year old?

Thank you very much!

Beth

Joolsplus2
08-27-2005, 05:20 PM
My son's almost 8 and the same size as yours and he really adores his Britax Parkway...it's comfy, easy to buckle, easy to move from car to car, light, stands alone in the garage, and has side impact protective headwings that don't touch his face or annoy him, but that he finds very comfy to lean on when he needs a rest (and on long trips, he doesn't slump a bit in that seat, it's really very spportive).
He also likes the Turbo Booster we have at grandma's...he's not too picky of a kid, fortunately (but the bare bones Evenflo Big Kid we have is one he HAS complained about, I'm sure the "everest" model is more comfy...but doesn't have EPS foam in the headwings).
The Recaro Young Sport is pricey, but very high quality, has side impact protecion, and the kids who have it seem to like it fine so far (Im waiting to make sure they love it before I splurge, lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

starfish1995
08-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Thank you Julie for your input. What are your thoughts on a Britax Husky at this age?

Thanks,

Beth

Joni
08-27-2005, 09:45 PM
I have to say that I agree with Julie about the Evenflo boosters. We tried them for both niece and my daughter and neither liked them at all. We're very pleased with the Turbo booster by Graco and if I could have talked my daughter out of the flower power seat I would have bought the Britax but she wouldn't have it. I really wanted her to have choice in her booster so that she'd be happy riding in it until she's 16 (I wish). If you could get your hands (and your son) on a Husky, I'd try it out to see if there's enough growing room. I hate the idea of buying a seat of that price for less than a year but if he's got a couple of inches I think it would be a great idea.
JONI CPST

starfish1995
08-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Jonie and Julie,

Would the Evenflo Apollo (we have one bought in 2002) booster with the regular seat belt be such a bad option for my 7 year old? I noticed it can be used with kids up to 54 inches tall, and since my son is 50 inches tall, we still have a ways to go before he outgrows it. I think he is too big for the harness straps on the Apollo however, correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Beth

Joolsplus2
08-28-2005, 06:04 PM
We adore our Huskies... My ds has been in a booster for a few weeks now (Parkway), and I can't wait to get him fully restrained again in a few days (Recall issue with my Husky...actually the Super Elite).

Try it out though, you DO want him to be happy (mine was 5 when I got it for him and VERY complacent about his seats...so he wants to be as safe as a racecar driver and was an easy sell on the safest choice ;). No one has yet proven that harnessed seats are safer, but I've seen enough crash tests....

Anyway, try it...it's really comfy and roomy and you can hand it down to your little one later, anyway :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mommyto4
08-30-2005, 01:14 AM
I have two girls in Huskys. They are 8 1/2 and 7 years old and they both love their seats. If I remember right, the Husky has a height limit of 54 inches but as long as you have a younger child to pass it down to when he outgrows it, I think that it would be a good investment. I just like keeping my little ones harnessed as long as possible.