PDA

View Full Version : Next Carseat for 3 yr old

betsydenny
09-01-2005, 07:55 PM
DD is getting close to the top of her RA. She is 2.5 and I figure we have a few more months. I am gathering that a MA or Wizard or Decathalon is my next choice. I have a large 1 yr old DS (26lbs) who is happy in his RA for now but could take over the larger one when DD moves to a Booster in a couple of years (if I am lucky)

Questions: I have a Volvo XC and am wondering which/if any 3 Britax's will fit across. (contemplating #3) SnugRide for the beginning but then would 2 RAs and a MA fit? Maybe I hope DD is big enough for a booster at that point...

What are the differences between the bigger Britax's. The Husky isnt an option as I know it won't fit, but what about the other three- size, features etc. I can't seem to tell.

TIA!
Betsy

Joolsplus2
09-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Just to make sure you know...you can use the Roundabout until the tops of the shoulders are over the top slots in the plastic shell or the tops of the ears are even with the top of the seatback (you said she was getting to the top, and I know heaps of 2.5 yo's who still rearfacing in the Roundabout with their heads below the top, so I'm thinking she's not WAY tall :)) Anyway, that might score you maybe a whole nother year or two in your wonderful Roundabout (and that it is, I hate for people to be rushed out of those, they really are the easiest to install and use properly).
Annnnyway... The Marathon, Decathlon, and Boulevard are all the same size, they just have slightly different features... the BV has the headwings and dialing height adjuster (nice feature, but you certainly don't *need* the side impact protection in that car), the DC is like a giant RA with extra infant padding and more crotch strap positions, and the MA is a nice basic seat. The DC might have a better chance of fitting "three across" because it doesn't have a wide LATCH bar on the seat, which can make it harder to puzzle-fit three seats next to one another (no latch bars=narrower seat).
You might also want to consider the Recaro Young Sport (well, maybe not, since you have a bigger kid coming up and needing handmedowns...it only goes to 40 pounds, but has TALL top harness slots and becomes an excellent booster later).

Whew...well, I don't know if that helps you work anything out, you kind of had the plan all along, lol.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Percycat
09-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi Julie,
How can I tell if my son is too big for his Marathon forward facing? He is using the top strap slot, but the straps are still a little above his shoulder. His head is still below the top of the car seat. He is 2 years, 9 months and seams to fit great in his seat right now. At what point will his shoulders and head be too high?

I am getting ready to buy two more car seats because my infant daughter will be moving into a convertible seat soon. Based on your praise, I plan to look at the boulevard. I was also considering getting 2 more marathons because we have been happy with the two we already have. If height may become an issue, does the boulevard (or another brand/model) work better for taller children? We bought the Marathon with the hopes of using them for many more years. If my son is going outgrow the Marathon by his height, I would rather buy a convertable seat that works better for tall children. I would prefer to keep him in a car seat for as long as possible as opposed to using a booster seat.

My son is just in the 75% for height, but he is in the top strap slot. I am surprised I am having these questions now.... please educate me.

Thanks.
angela

Joolsplus2
09-06-2005, 04:51 PM
He sounds like he's got a pretty long torso and his legs haven't sprouted yet :). Did I already post this page of kids in Marathons/Wizards/Huskies? http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFAlbum.aspx My dd, in the ashley floral yellow seat, has been using the top slots for 18 months now, and it seems like she still just keeps on fitting in it (she's wearing size 6 shirts, so she's not a shrimp in the torso department).

Sooooo... you might want to look at the Boulevard (the top slots are marginally taller), or at the Recaro Young Sport (only harnesses to 40 pounds, but then becomes a booster and has top slots as high as the Marathon...if he's a skinny guy, that might be a good choice) Here's pictures of a 5 yo in the Young Sport http://uccomama-ivil.tripod.com/id14.html ... Or the Husky might be a great choice... at least one, and then you can have a more mobile seat if you need it for travel?

You probably still have like 2 years left in your Marathon, but would have almost 6 in a Husky, if you want to keep him harnessed a good long time (it IS my 8 yo's favorite seat! lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Percycat
09-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Thank you Julie for the recommendations and the link to the article. The information is very helpful. I knew I would get good and prompt information if I asked you. You are terrific to us all.

angela