PDA

View Full Version : MA or Young Sport???

mama2ella
09-07-2005, 02:39 PM
My DH was in a 4 car accident 2 weeks ago (not his fault and he was not hurt). While DD was not in the car I am insisting on repalcing her MA and State Farm has agreed. My ? is should I get another MA or go for the Young Sport? DD will be 3 in Nov and is 37 inches and 32 pounds. We had 2 MA's before the wreck and loved them..We are using grandma's Graco right now in DH's car and he hates it..He finally admitted that all the $$ I spent for the MA's was worth every penny :)..

I had thought to get the Young Sport since State Farm was paying and she could sue the seat longer..However are the wings really pronounced?? I am not sure she would like it if they block her view??

Any thoughts?

TIA

Leslie
mama to Ella (11-22-02)

Joolsplus2
09-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Kids really never are upset with headwings the way we think they'll be.. most of them are *thrilled* to have comfy pillows to rest on! (except for that first generation Wizard..boy, those could be tight and seemed to annoy even young babies! lol)
I think the seat looks great http://uccomama-ivil.tripod.com/id14.html and she's not a heavy girl and may not need or benefit from the higher weight limit of the Marathon (my slim 40 pound almost-6-yo is getting too tall for her Marathon she needed taller top slots, but not higher weight, and the YS definitely has tall top slots!).
Try this site, and use the dealer code "SHOW", I hear it delivers pretty quick http://recarodealer.com/
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

threerugratz
09-08-2005, 08:17 AM
I've never had a MA but I do have the Young Sport and we really like it. My ds is 6 yrs old and approx. 34lbs. He is using the harness. He doesn't seem bothered by the headwings and he had previously been in the spacious Husky without big headwings. My little guy is dinky too and doesn't really need the higher harnessed weight of the Husky. I like the Young Sport as a booster too so I'm already set for when my son outgrows the harness. I have some pictures that "might" give you an idea of the headwing size. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/threerugratz4me/album?.dir=e6ea&.src=ph

Smiles, Lisa
mom to 3 rugratz~~11, 9 and 6~~all still in child restraints

mama2ella
09-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Thank you so much for your response!! I really do think the YS is the seat for us--guess I just needed some reassurance. Thanks for the link--I ordered the black and blue one

Leslie

mama to Ella (11-22-02)

mama2ella
09-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the link to the pictures...I ordered the blue one just like what you have

Thanks again!

Leslie
mama to Ella (11-22-02)

uccomama
09-08-2005, 02:04 PM
I think you will be very happy with the YS. We are.

Deborah (Toby's mom!)

threerugratz
09-08-2005, 03:43 PM
I hope you'll let us know how you like it. It's nice to know what other people think of different seats. I wanted the Sport so much it was almost hard for me to think objectively about it at first. But we have been using it for weeks and I like it. It was a breeze to install too.

Joolsplus2
09-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks for stopping by, Threerugratz :). I love love love having new seats to recommend and am so happy to hear good "real life" experiences about them from you and Deborah.

:)

mamatodaniel
09-27-2005, 01:52 PM
I REALLY wanted the Young Sport for my son (he will be 3 in Nov, 33 lbs, 37-1/2 inches) Ultimately I was put off by the 40lb weight limit for the harness and went for a Marathon. However for some odd reason, he keeps complaining that his back is hurting when in the seat (he never ever complained in his Roundabout). There is nothing visible sticking out...no obvious reason for discomfort. So now I am thinking of returning the Marathon and back to wondering if I can make the Young Sport work somehow.

Is there any way to estimate the rate of growth at his age...like how long it might take to reach 40 lbs? If I can't harness him until at least age 4, I dn't think I'll be happy. This is so hard...want what's best for him but want him to be comfortable too!

Also, did you say that the top slots on the Young Sport are comparable to the Marathon?

Thanks for any advice,

Sheri

Joolsplus2
09-27-2005, 03:38 PM
That's about the size my son was at that age (33 pounds and 38 inches is dead average for a 3 yo boy)...and he didn't hit 40 pounds till he was 5. Ok, so he's really a scrawny kid, but I DO think it's reasonable that your kiddo won't hit forty pounds till 4 or 4.5, maybe even longer, if mom and dad aren't really tall/big folks.
I'm so sorry the Marathon is uncomfortable for him! Man, what a drag to spend all that money and it not be comfortable :P
Oh, the top slots are at least as high as the MA, perhaps a smidge taller, even (or the padding and recline are different, making them seem a bit taller on some kids, anyway)

mamatodaniel
09-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Ok...I'm sold. I just ordered one from the wholesale site mentioned earlier. Thanks for that tip...it's a savings of $25!

Sheri

Joolsplus2
09-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Fingers crossed it comes fast and you love it! Report back when you get it, ok?

mamatodaniel
10-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Here's a question about the Young Sport. Someone mentioned earlier(I think) that they removed the extra bottom seat cushion to give their child extra space while in harness mode. However I am having trouble figuring out how to do it...any one have suggestions without having to remove the entire seat cover?

Thanks for any help...

uccomama
10-06-2005, 06:43 PM
You need to remove the harness buckle to take the bottom cushion off, but you don't need to take the whole cover off. Instructions are in the manual.

Deborah

mamatodaniel
10-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks Deborah...I figured it out after I posted! I seem to be having really bad luck with car seats all of a sudden, because so far the Young Sport doesn't seem to be working so well for us. On setting 2, my son's shoulders are just touching the bottom of the wings...which the manual says is no good. On setting 3, his ears are just below the wings...which the manual says is no good. He appears to be smack in the middle of settings. Also, the buckle seems to be set very low, so that it digs into his legs, even with the buckle pad. And lastly, maybe this seat is narrower than the Britax, because he is complaining that those nice soft velcro pads are bothering him (even when the strap is tightened properly.

Aaach...I miss my Roundabout! I never heard a peep of unhappiness. I purchased from that wholesale site...I'm not even sure if I can return to them and god only knows what shipping would be. Sorry to be venting, I am just so frustrated.