PDA

View Full Version : The right carseat after the Roundabout?

PaminDC
09-21-2005, 12:07 AM
I need some advice on the best carseat for DS who is 3 3/4 (four in December), 38 lbs and is 38 or 39 inches tall. He currently uses a Britax Roundabout. Should I put him in a bigger harnessed seat (Marathon, Husky, etc) or is he ready for a booster?

This will be his primary seat used for local driving as well as long road trips to visit relatives.

Since he still sleeps in the car (and might slouch), I wonder if a booster will hold him securely enough? Is the headrest in the Parkway meant to address this issue? I think he will sit still in the seat when awake. Well, he might try to reach for a toy or book that has fallen....

The Roundabout will be passed on to DS#2 who is approaching 18 lbs.

Also, question about the Cosco Summit 22/260 combination seat. We use the Summit for DS in DH's car. It is the secondary seat used for local trips only. Tonight I noticed that DS was asleep in the Summit and slouching forward a lot. Is this unsafe? I noticed on this board that he is quickly reaching the harness limit. Is the Summit safe with a lap/shoulder belt for 40lb. children who slouch forward when sleeping? Should I consider getting a different seat?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Oh, I drive a 2000 Honda Accord and DH drives a Toyota Matrix, in case this makes a difference. Thanks!!!

Joni
09-21-2005, 08:49 AM
For your next seat for the main vehicle, I'd go with a Husky/Regent. He seems like a tall kiddo and would benefit from the extended use you'll get from the Husky. If you want a booster instead, many seatbelts lock if you pull them all the way out and in my car the locked seatbelt keeps DD sitting more upright.
As far as the Summit goes, it too when used as a booster can be used with a locking seatbelt. He is getting up there on the weight and I wonder if he's too tall yet? They are technically harnessed to 40 inches but tend to have low slots. Please remember that you cannot use the top notch for the headrest with the harness. I have never come across one being used as a booster but you could try it as soon as he's 40 lbs or his shoulders are higher than the top usable slots for the harness. If it doesn't work well, I'd suggest buying a Graco Turbo booster which recline to the level of the seats and my dd took a 3 hour nap in my Blazer without head floppage.
JONI CPST

maluhia
09-21-2005, 02:44 PM
I agree with the Husky also. That would be like me 'dream seat' for my kid. Alas, its just too big and dh said no. That said, We have a Wizard for our son who is almost 5 and about 45 inches. And the sleep thing is never a problem since he has the "pillows" as he likes to call them.