PDA

View Full Version : seatbelt when using the parkway

rebarice
09-27-2005, 02:59 PM
my son is 3 1/2 and we recently switched from the ra to the parkway. i was somewhat concerned about him being without a harness, but it really has gone very well as he does not unlatch the seatbelt until he first clears it with me or my husband. my question deals with the seatbelt itself. should i lock the seatbelt (pull it all the way out) when i connect it, or just use it like we do our seat belts? i was worried that locking it might cause him an internal injury in a crash. my parkway book does not speak to this and i was just wondering. i certainly want him the safest he can be! thanks so much!

Joolsplus2
09-27-2005, 03:22 PM
It's totally optional :). It can be helpful to 'remind' him to sit better, or maybe he'd even prefer the snug feeling. It's great at naptime to make sure there's no falling forward! (heck, even *I* do that for myself sometimes, so I can lean on the shoulderbelt, lol).
My 5 yo loves to lock herself in, and my 8 yo thinks of it as unjust imprisonment... so whatever works best for you is fine. There's no difference in safety at all.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

rebarice
09-27-2005, 03:44 PM
thank you so much julie! i think i will do it because he does try to lean forward sometimes and i'd much rather be safe than sorry! i really appreciate it! :)

Joni
09-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Harleigh just moved into her booster and my niece is 7 and has been in one for a while but Harleigh holds still better than my niece (she's 3.5). I make them both lock the seatbelt to reminde them to not lean or let the seatbelt slide off and when they start to wiggle, it tightens up on them.
JONI CPST