PDA

View Full Version : Car seat for 2nd car - Parkway or TurboBooster??

champion2b
10-07-2005, 10:56 AM
DS turned 3 in July. He is almost at the Roundabout limits so I was undecided what to get next. After reading the boards, I decided to purchase him a Britax Regent to use in our "everyday" car - Honda Pilot.

Since I don't have the $$$ to purchase two Regents, I was thinking about purchasing a Parkway or TurboBooster for use in dad's (00 Honda Accord) and/or grandma's (94 Nissan Maxima) car. The Accord has side curtain air bags, but the Maxima doesn't. He only rides in grandma's car locally one day a week.

The Turbo comes in the Toy Story pattern which might be a plus since he wants nothing to do with a booster because he likes (and is used to) the 5 pt harness in the Britax. He doesn't necessarily do well with change so Buzz on the seat might help.

The Parkway has more padding in the seat that I would think would be more comfortable, but doesn't have as many pattern choices. It appears the two seats have pretty much the same design.

Is the Parkway much better/safer than the Turbo?

What do you think?

Joni
10-08-2005, 02:08 PM
The Parkway has Side impact protection but for occassional rides in relatively safe cars, the Turbo would be a good choice. My concern is his age and maturity. If he is a good listener and is willing to sit still in the car, a booster would be a decent option. My daughter is 3.5 and very tall and I too could not afford to buy all of the Britax seats that she would need to stay harnessed because everyone needs a seat for her since everyone picks her up at daycare. I bought the Turbo because of the variety in fabrics that were appealing to her. I wanted a seat that she would want to ride in. My daughter has never complained about the padding, infact, she loves her seat. Plus, the Turbo is cheaper and since you're buying one expensive seat, it would save you some money.
JONI CPST

Joolsplus2
10-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Are his shoulders almost above the top slots in the shell? Is he almost 40 pounds? I'm only asking because those are the limits, and I know so many moms who are afraid their kids are outgrowing the RA, but they are using the wrong criteria, and are happy to find they have several months more to use the RA. :)

Anyway, if he loves Buzz and that's what he'll sit happily in, then that's great. Sometimes dads and grandmas need a lot of supervision until they learn how the seatbelt is supposed to go on the Turbo (they get all confused by the armrests....), so I often like to recommend the Parkway for that reason, but maybe you're blessed with a quick learning family ;)

The Parkway has undergone extensive side impact design and testing, but the Turbo certainly appears that it would do well enough in a side crash, I think.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

champion2b
10-11-2005, 08:30 AM
He is 39.4 lbs and his shoulders are even with the top slots (under the cover/shell). I know I don't have much time left before he officially outgrows his RA :(

Joolsplus2
10-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Oh bummer! Well, it was worth a try to mention it.

Good luck finding a new seat that works for you :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx