PDA

View Full Version : DD wants a booster but should I get a "bigger" 5 point harness seat??

kaleena11
10-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Hello!

My daughter is 4 1/2 years and 38 pounds. We have loved our Britax Advantage but she is really pushing the limits (height and weight) of the Advantage and I need to get a new seat for her. (I also have a 1 1/2 year-old in a Roundabout.) I have two issues--my daughter's issue and my issue. Her issue: She wants a booster so badly because all of her friends/classmates have one and she is the only one left in a 5 point harness. My issue: Safety, safety, safety!! I turned her forward at 18 months and have been worried ever since! I don't know what to do and I am willing to buy the best on the market.

Any advice on whether I should keep her harnessed through kindergarten and beyond or get a good booster? Is there a big safety difference between a high quality booster and a high quality 5 point harness seat? We have a MPV minivan and can accommodate most any seat.

Thank you so much!!

Joni
10-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Ultimately its your choice. She'd be able to stay in a Regent for at least 3-4 years and you could retire it to the younger one then OR in a Marathon for probably 2 and again, pass it down. If you want her to stay harnessed, do it. If she's really putting up a fight or you're willing to give a booster a try you could go with a Britax Parkway or wait the 2 pounds and get a Bodyguard. Both has Side impact protection. You could also get a Graco TurboBooster that has EPS foam and is very safe but hasn't been tested for its side impact protection.
A side note, the Britax Bodyguard was at Sears this week on sale (clearance I think) in the "fiesta" print.
Its obviously safest to have her in a harness as long as possible but she is at an age where she could graduate to a booster. Its all about personal choice and if $$ is an issue, going with a booster is the more economical choice. You are the mom and if you want her to stay harnessed, keep her harnessed. You could always buy either high weight seats and then a Graco Turbo for field trips or times when she's going with friends so she doesn't have to deal with the peer pressure but sometimes not giving in makes them stronger in the long run.
JONI CPST

kaleena11
10-13-2005, 09:51 PM
Thank you so much for your advice. You and the other experts are truly saving children's lives. As I have now spent about 2-3 hours reading so many posts (time flies) I am now certain that I will leave her harnessed as long as possible. A much earlier post described a heart-wrenching accident that was truly tragic, with the only comfort being that the child who was killed was properly restrained in her booster seat. That basically made up my mind to do whatever I feel is best for my children and personally in this case, (for me) it's keeping my dd in a 5 point harness. As you suggested, I will buy a Marathon for my dd then pass it to my son in a year or (hopefully!) two, then get her a Regent or whatever great substitute Britax has released! I may end up getting a Parkway for occaisional use in my husband's or her friend's cars anyway.

Thank you again! :-)

Joolsplus2
10-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Here, give her a new peer group to compare herself to http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFAlbum.aspx and stress how LUCKY she is to have such a GREAT seat (maybe the Ashley Floral Marathon? You can get a new cover for your DS later ;) )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mommyto4
10-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Good for you on your decision. I personally feel that kids are safest in a five point harness. My three youngest kids are 8 1/2, 7 and 5 1/2 and are all still in five point harnesses. Two in Huskies and one in a Fisher Price Futura 5 point.
Melinda-- mommy to Sarah 22 yrs., Kaylee 8 1/2 yrs., Jayci 7 yrs., and Davis 5 1/2 yrs., and grandma to Katie 6 mo.

kaleena11
10-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Thank you so much to Julie and Melinda! I will need all the help I can get when kindergarten starts this Sept. and everyone else has boosters! I had a long talk with my daughter and she is being great about it. I guess it helps that it was safety week at her preschool! I love the link--thanks Julie! And I love the idea of her picking out a pretty cover. At this rate my son will need a new seat before my daughter is out of it anyway!

Thanks again!!
Sarah