PDA

View Full Version : Recaro Start v. Britax Parkway v. Husky for tall children

inezyv
10-30-2005, 09:51 PM
I have read many threads but it seems like each individual case is different. Julie and other experts, can you please advise me? Please forgive me, I know this is long, but the question is about both of my children with different builds.

We have two daughters.

My older dd Gracie just turned four yesterday. Her shoulders are now almost even with the top slot of her Marathon. She weighs 42 pounds and is 43 inches tall. I don't know what the charts say, but she appears slim.

My younger dd Rosie just turned 25 months old, barely two. She weighs 34 pounds and is 37 inches tall. Rosie appears plump. Heightwise, she is as tall as many three year olds. She is on the slot next to the top of her Marathon.

I am describing both girls because I am trying to decide what to do. Both of them outgrew their infant seats very early.

I like the idea of the Husky (or whatever the new Husky is called) because of the five point restraint. But what about side impact protection? Would it be better to get the Recaro booster than the Britax? I have to admit upfront that I covet the more expensive Recaro booster, the idea of it being the racecar booster appeals to me. If I get a Recaro, is there a difference between the fancy one with the aluminum frame and the less expensive version? Are they going to come out with any appealling girly colors in the near future?

Should I go ahead and leave my younger dd in the Marathon for as long as possible or move her to a booster with side impact protection? Or get the Recaro Young Style?

We have a 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE.

Please give me your advice. If you have read this far, thank you for reading this.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
10-30-2005, 10:05 PM
I am not a tech but i hopefully will become one someday.

I would get your older dd a Husky/Regent if you like the idea of extended harnessing. Also for the shoulders being even with the slots have you pulled the cover all the way up, sometimes i find that it slips down and it may make it seem like the dc's shoulders are at a different position than they really are.

I would keep your younger dd in her MA for as long as possible. When she outgrows it in maybe 2 years you can either get a second husky or put your older dd into a bpb and move her into the husky. I would not get your younger dd a different seat because they harness to 40 lbs and she is 34 lbs now so it will not last very long.

Good luck with the decision....

Ilana and avi- rf in a MA and DC at 26 lbs and 31 inches

Joolsplus2
10-31-2005, 07:33 AM
Oooh, yup, tough choices. I agree with the PP, though.. probably the new Regent (Husky) would be a great choice. The Recaro Start is NICE though (dmartstores.com has them for 289 shipped, the 2004's are no different from the 2005's).... It really is a much higher quality (and MUCH heavier) seat than the others...which is not to say they aren't high quality, but it's in a league of it's own, much more like a very high quality office chair than just a plastic shell with padding (also, it doesn't expire unless it's in a crash...you could be using it for the next 8 years no worries). The Start has a belt lockoff to make it restraining, almost like a harnessed seat, and can be a good choice for younger, wigglier kids.
It's just as heavy and almost as hard to move around as the Husky, though, and while the Husky doesn't have specific Side protection, ALL 5 pt harnesses are very safe in the most types of crashes, and it is also lined with EPS foam and the wings are quite far 'out there' to offer some width of protection from a side crash.
The Britax Parkway is also a wonderful side impact protective booster, and VERY easy to buckle, owing to the lack of armrests, and VERY light, so it's easy to toss from car to car.
This page has awesome reviews and all the correct specs on all these, and more, seats http://uccomama-ivil.tripod.com/ if you haven't seen it yet (and you can click on all those links to all those seats for heaps more pictures!), it might help you decide.

Oh, and yeah, you'll get at least two more years out of the Marathon for the younger kiddo, so unless you really WANT a new seat for her, you don't have to worry about it (I never talk anyone out of new seats.. then I'd feel bad that I've had 40 of them in the last 8 years for 2 kids!)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

inezyv
10-31-2005, 07:57 AM
Thank you for your help! That website is very interesting.

I should have mentioned that these seats will almost never be moved from car to car. Our Marathons were not removed from the car except for rare cleanings and when we bought a new car.

So it doesn't matter at all if the seat is heavy to move. Or does it? Is there something about boosters I don't understand?

Which is safer, the five point restraint of a Husky or side impact protection/better construction of the Start?

Joolsplus2
10-31-2005, 08:23 AM
Oh, you're lucky you never have to move your seats :). I just figured I'd mention the weight/bulk, just in case... ;)

I don't know which is safer, the Husky or the Side Impact Protection (of the Start/Style/Parkway boosters, or of course the aluminum frame of the Start)...it's probably 6 of one, half a dozen of the other... what's most important is that the child is sitting properly in a booster, though, so you'd have to decide if your 4 yo is really mature enough to sit still (though the lockoffs do help a bit). Also, buckling the Husky is a lot easier for grownups...do you think your DD could buckle her own booster, or would you be leaning over her all the time (that's why I sold my Recaro, actually...my 4 yo was totally unwilling to help buckle up, and the Husky was easier for ME! Now my kids are 6 and 8 and can buckle and tighten anything I put them in.

Oh, you might also want to look at www.kids-in-the-car.org... that has pictures of the Start and Style and Husky, too.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx