PDA

View Full Version : Help, need to buy another carseat today!

techgal
11-07-2005, 01:00 PM
My youngest son is now too big for his infant seat so we are going to move him to the roundabout. I am looking for a seat for my older son:

2.5 years, 36.5 inches, about 29 pounds.

He needs to be in a 5 point harness, and very concerned about safety. He falls asleep in his carseat and we also go for rides lasting 1.5 hours about once a month so I would like it to be comfy.

The seat would be in a Honda Accord (97) and would also be in the backseat with the roundabout (rear facing for another 6 months) so I'm not sure about the space issue. This next seat would be forward facing.

Hopefully I have provided enough information for people to help me. Willing to pay money for the seat since we are only buying one, not two for multiple cars. Since we will use it almost everyday, it is NOT a purchase I want to skimp on.

Thanks to everyone for reading this and giving me their opinions! I appreciate the help since I am very confused and on the fence about what to buy.

Julie

Joolsplus2
11-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Any of the "big" Britaxes are great... Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard, even the Husky...they are all tall enough to keep your elder ds harnessed to age 5 or 6, 8.5 for the Husky (it would fit him longer, but it would expire then...also, it's not terrific for little kids who nap). The Recaro Young Sport is very nice, and also becomes a terrific booster. The Graco Platinum or Ultra Cargo are great harnessed seats (same seat, different covers), but sort of junky as boosters..still, you can hand it down, harnessed, to the baby later, anyway), and the Evenflo Generations or Bolero is pretty nice and the Cosco Apex (might be called the Lancer if you call toys r us to ask if they have it) is also quite nice, and harnesses to 65 pounds, booster to 100 (pretty decent as both kinds of seat).

He's so young I'd personally go with one of the Britax Convertibles for his main seat...and so small I might even rearface him (and remember, for the baby, rearfacing to only a year and 20 pounds is the *bare minimum*...you really want to go till the head is even with the top of the convertible seat rearfacing or 33 pounds for optimal safety)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Joolsplus2
11-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Oh, and if you haven't added top tethers to your car, tootle on down to Honda for that... the parts are $13, and they are generally quite easy to install yourself (if you see plastic circles on your package shelf, those pop out and the top tether screws right in...if you have enormous speakers back there and no little plastic caps, then Honda probably has to do the install and it might cost more)...top tethering is second only to rearfacing in making carseats as safe as possible for kiddos.

techgal
11-09-2005, 09:38 AM
I still can't decide...this decision shouldn't be this hard...

I am on the fence about getting a Generations seat or a Britax Marathon, Wizard, or Decathalon. We love our Roundabout, that is why I'm looking at the Britax. I want something that is comfortable. I also looked at the Cosco Apex 65, but not sure about Cosco.

Any feedback? Any I just throwing money away by getting another Britax when I really don't need one?

Thanks.

Joolsplus2
11-09-2005, 10:33 AM
My goodness, no... you wouldn't be losing a penny on a big spendy Britax...you'll get to use it for a full 6 years (including the handmedownability)...all the comfort, durability, and ease of use you are used to are worth it, IMO. (Sure, you can buy $5 fake Keds at Payless, but will they last as long and be as comfy as a nice pair of Nikes? Sure, Evenflo and Graco are safe, and $5 fake Keds will protect your feet, but honestly that's really an apt comparison between the brands)

techgal
11-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all your help. I ended up getting a marathon.