PDA

View Full Version : Britax Husky vs. Regent, and a stupid question on use :-)

tinasquirrel
11-09-2005, 04:24 PM
I currently have two car seats: a Cosco Eddie Bauer toddler seat for my 3yo (hmm..not sure on his size, maybe 39in and 35lbs?), and a Cosco Eddie Bauer convertible seat for my 16 month old (32.5in and 24 pounds). I absolutely hate my convertible seat for my younger son. Have always hated it (got it in 5/02). The straps twist about two seconds after you put him in the seat. I'm okay with the toddler version of the seat that my older son is using.

So, I was thinking of chucking the convertible (keeping it for emergencies or something), giving younger DS the Cosco toddler version, and getting older DS a new seat. I don't feel comfortable with boosters yet, so was looking at the new Britax Regent. They aren't out yet, and I can wait, so that's not a big deal.

Question: How are the Regents different from the Huskys? The Huskys may still be around in a few places on close-out. Should I get one now for cheaper? Or is the Regent significantly better and is it worth it to wait?

Stupid question: Okay, I feel stupid for asking this, but I'm confused. The literature says that you can't use LATCH after 48 pounds and you need to use the car safety seat belt. That I understand. However, can you ever use the Regent/Husky with the seat belt as opposed to the 5 point harness? For example, when they get a lot older? Or am I confused because that's how my Coscos work (you switch between the 5 point harness and using the seat belt), but Britax's don't work that way? I hope someone understands what I am asking.

This stuff is all so confusing! Wish it wasn't since safety is so important.

TIA!!

mommyto4
11-09-2005, 11:45 PM
I believe that the Regent is the same as the Husky just with more cover options. If you aren't picky about the covers, I would get a Husky on close-out. Also, the Husky/ Regent does not become a booster later. It is strictly a five point harness seat. You would be able to get alot of use out of it though because it harnesses to 80 pounds and/or approximately 54 inches tall (I have an 8 1/2 year old that still rides in one). The latch is only for kids up to 48 then you have to buckle the seat in much like a car seat. Also, the Husky has to be tethered after the child reaches 50 pounds (this would only be a problem if your car does not have top tether anchors). Anyway, that's about all the info I have. I hope it helps. Good luck.
Melinda (mom to Sarah, Kaylee, Jayci, & Davis)
(and grandma to Katie)

Joolsplus2
11-10-2005, 08:33 AM
You can get a new harness for your old convertible by contacting them at www.djgusa.com...it's about $5, and Cosco went from having THE WORST quality straps, to having almost the best ones available.
Yup, the covers the biggest difference, might as well find a Husky on closeout. Nope, doesn't become a booster, but you'll be able to use it harnessed till your baby is almost 8, great value for the money, there :).
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

tinasquirrel
11-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Thanks Julie, I didn't realize I could get new straps for my car seat. That's really my biggest complaint about the seat. It is a bit smaller (since it's a convertible) and it won't last for as long as some of the other seats because of that, but if I could get new straps then I wouldn't have to worry about getting a new seat for a little while yet. That would really help, budget-wise!

And thanks to both of the pp about the difference between the Husky and Regent, and answering my stupid question about the harness. I totally get it now, I just wanted to make sure I understood what it was all about!

Tina, mom to Kent and Jack!