PDA

View Full Version : 39 in, 34 lbs, 3.75 yrs, what seat for DS?

suebee828
11-16-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm looking for a seat for my son. He currently has a Britax RA, but is getting too tall. He is

3.75 years (4 in Feb)
39 inches tall
34 lbs

There's no younger sibling, and I don't mind paying more to get a better seat. We probably wouldn't be moving the seat between cars. He has been using a Graco Turbobooster in his dad's car. Nana (who isn't local) has a Britax Parkway. I like both, but want what's safest for him.

I drive a 2001.5 VW Passat.

Joni
11-16-2005, 07:06 PM
If you want to keep him harnessed, I'd buy a Marathon or Husky. Both will keep him harnessed for a while but because of his age, I'd go for the Husky. It will keep him harnessed until 80 lbs, many kids are in them at 8 years old. If he rides in the booster well and you think you're ready for him to be in a booster full time, then I'd go with either a Parkway or Turbo, which ever you like most. Parkway's are more expensive but do have Side impact protection whereas the Turbo doesn't. They both have EPS foam and are well padded and relatively easy to use.
I think its a matter of how badly you want him to stay harnessed. If you want to stay harnessed and don't mind buying a spendy Britax, go for the Husky. If you don't want to spend the money you can get a good booster for under $100.
Joni CPST

Joolsplus2
11-17-2005, 08:27 AM
At his weight and size, the Graco Platinum or Ultra Cargo, or Evenflo Generations/Bolero/Traditions would all be appropriate choices, too. Or consider the Recaro Young Sport, which will keep him harnessed to a full 40 pounds (could be well over a year away for him, and harnessing IS safest...), and then becomes a really nice booster seat later. Even the Cosco Apex is a nice harnessed choice to 65 pounds then a pretty nice booster seat.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

suebee828
12-03-2005, 11:10 PM
What are the height limits for the Husky and for the Recaro Young Sport, as a harnessed seat?

mommyto4
12-03-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm not sure what the height limit is on the Young Sport. I have two Huskies and I believe the height limit says 54 inches. I have an 8 1/2 year old (about 53 inches tall and 65 pounds) and she is just about to outgrow the Husky. It is a great seat. Hope this helps.
Melinda

suebee828
12-04-2005, 12:00 AM
Yes, thanks for replying. I found on one site (Right Start) that the height limit for the Regent is 53". It says that the Young Sport goes up to 59", but not sure what the harnessed limit would be.

mommyto4
12-04-2005, 12:27 AM
The 59" on the Young Sport is for booster seat use. I think that I heard that the harnessed height limit says 40 inches but, that it can be used passed that depending on the childs torso height (if the height in the body or the legs). Hope that makes sense.

suebee828
01-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Just a follow-up and FYI. I ordered the Recaro Young Sport and it is a beautiful seat. BUT, DS was too tall for the harness, already. I couldn't even fasten it and he wasn't even wearing anything bulky. It's actually shorter than the Britax RA harness. So, I'm (sadly) planning to return it, b/c I'm having trouble justifying the cost to get only the booster use out of it.

mommyto4
01-06-2006, 03:00 PM
To bad. Maybe the Regent/Husky would be a better choice for you.
Melinda

mommyto4
01-06-2006, 03:00 PM
To bad. Maybe the Regent/Husky would be a better choice for you.
Melinda

Joolsplus2
01-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Did you consider contacting Recaro to ask about a longer harness? They DO realize they have an issue and may already have longer harnesses in production...it's worth a shot.. But, the Regent is a fine seat, too (my leggy 8 yo has heaps of growing room, even though he's 52 inches...kids are all built so differently!)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

thing1andt2
01-10-2006, 08:06 PM
I am curious about the harness on the Recaro as well, so if you find out anything can you post it here?

Out of curiosity, how does the harness system work on the seat, ie what is the highest shoulder strap height?

I have very skinny 3 year olds, only 27lbs. I know they will need to be harnessed for a very long time, and growing too tall for the harness is more of my concern than any seats weight limit. For that very reason, I like the looks of the Recaro. I think it looks less babyish than say the Britax and considering they will probably be harnessed years after their friends I thought it was something I should consider.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this or any of the Britax seats. We have RA now. I am not concerned with rear facing, or future child use.

tjham
01-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Top harness on Young Sport is 16", only 1/2 inch more than RA.

http://www.elitecarseats.com/Recaro-Young-Sport.pro#specs

Click on "specs".

suebee828
01-10-2006, 11:37 PM
In the literature that came with the Recaro, I believe that it said the harness would work for children up to 40" tall. (My son is no longer only 39", closer to 42".) One thing that DH and I observed separately is that the buckle seems to be set back farther on the Recaro than on the Britax RA. So, even if the harness is actually longer on the Recaro, it seemed to be more difficult to make it reach the buckle.

To me, the harness of the Recaro seemed to work very much like that of the RA.

As far as being babyish -- you never know how they will react. My son loved his RA and did not want to give it up for a booster. As noted above, we had purchased a Graco TurboBooster, and DH ended up switching back to the RA. DS knows that his friends have boosters, as I have given them rides. Unlike DS, his friends have younger siblings and their mothers said that their older children actually weren't happy about giving up their seat to the younger sibling for the booster, presumably b/c that was "their seat".

I do agree that the Recaro looks cool, however.