PDA

View Full Version : when to move to a booster seat?

webmaker
11-23-2005, 08:36 AM
I have a 44" 50 lb. 4 1/2 year old with autism. He is in the marathon. When we bought it we couldn't believe the limited availability of 5 point restraint car seats for over 40 lbs. He has been over/at 40 pounds for well over 2 years. I really like the seat and he seems to also. The problem is that as he is getting taller I am bonking his head on the frame of the SUV door when I get him in. Of course, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to get him into the car myself at 50 pounds. If he climbs in himself he either takes a really long time, or climbs into the front seat. He is very clever and manipulative! I don't know if I should switch him to something lower and easier to get into. Then I could put my 2 1/2 year old daughter into the Marathon. She has a cheapy seat right now and wants to "do it myself" all the time, but the harness doesn't easily tighten, so it's always tight and we pull to get it on. I'm envious of you moms who say your kids get into their own car seats! Wow, I'd never even thought of that since my oldest isn't even interested in how his car seat works.
any thoughts?
Thanks,
Lisa

Joolsplus2
11-23-2005, 08:48 AM
I'd put him in a Husky or Regent, honestly...unless you have a car that can't be have a top tether retrofit... even without autism, I like to see kids harnessed as long as possible, and if he does a switcheroo on you and suddenly gets interested in buckles, then it's easier to keep him in a harnessed seat than a booster (and it's easier for YOU to buckle a harnessed seat, believe it or not...leaning over a kid to buckle a booster is no picnic, trust me! My kid wouldn't even *try* to help with his seat till he was almost 6, drove me bananas, so I put him in a Husky, lol).

Anyway, my 8 and 6 yo's are in Huskies (I only had one installed in the van yesterday and they nearly got into a fight over who got it because no one wanted to ride in the booster), and they are much easier to climb into than the MA, and no headbonking on the top of the door (yay!).

I don't suppose you could get a prescription and insurance coverage for a "Traveller Plus" which is a super deluxe, way expensive version of the Husky?...but if you could, that'd be awesome.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mommyto4
11-23-2005, 03:37 PM
I agree with Julie. I have a 5 1/2 year old son with autism and I don't even want to think about putting him in a booster. He is about the same size as your son and currently rides in a Fisher Price Futura. As soon as I find a booster that I really like for my 8 1/2 year old daughter, he will be moving into her Husky. He will stay in the Husky as long as possible. Hope this helps. Good luck!!!
Melinda

webmaker
11-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks Julie and Melinda. I'll add a Husky to his Christmas wish list. I think we didn't originally get the Husky becasue it didn't fit on an airplane. He definitely fits the "husky" size. I looked at some pictures and it looks like it is quite low. That should work out well.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Lisa

Joolsplus2
11-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Now that he's older, you can maybe get a RideSafer Travel Vest..you can't use it on the plane, but it's really light and easy to use when you get to your destination.

Just a thought :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx