PDA

View Full Version : Long torso in Wizard.

lime
11-23-2005, 05:05 PM
DS is 3.5y, 42 1/2" tall and 41lbs. It looks like he's getting too tall for the Wiz: the straps are starting to head down in the highest position. I guess this is because of a long torso, a family trait. Can this be right? I read postings about 45" kids still in MA - basically same as Wiz - and question my judgement about him outgrowing the seat.

DS could cope with a booster but I like the idea of harnessing. Which leads me to: Which is more desirable, side impact protection of a Parkway or continued harnessing in a Regent/Husky? And can anyone let me know how the Regent is working out? It seems to be slightly smaller than the Husky from the dimensions on the Britax site, which might be worth the price difference now the Husky is on sale.

Elizasmom
12-07-2005, 11:32 AM
My DD is 44" 5.5 years and seems to be slightly above the slots on the Wizard, so I'm also looking at the Parkway and Regent. We bought ourselves some extra time by making the Wizard more upright, which changed her posture and put her below the slot for a while longer. Our vehicle seat back angle can be adjusted, so we just put it bolt upright (it had been slightly reclined). She also has a long torso. I think you should keep a child that age in a 5-point for sure, so the Regent is a great option.

I would not be debating the Parkway if my child were that young. Even a lot of older kids have trouble in boosters. My neighbor drove by the other day while I was outside, and I could see her 4.5 year old son in his booster with his arms out and over the belt. He was playing with the belt and just totally loosy-goosey in it.

I have also been debating the side-impact issue. 5 points are inherently better for side-impact, so the harness on the Husky probably cancels out the benefits of the wings on the PArkway, making it a wash. Also, if your child is in the center or if you have side-airbags, the side wings are less relevant.

lime
12-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks. Regent it will be.