PDA

View Full Version : Britax Roundabout Foam Cracked

momtogirls
11-29-2005, 09:26 AM
I've decided to move my almost four year old to a Britax Regent. I took the cover off my Roundabout thinking I would wash the cover and sell the seat on E-Bay.

I noticed that the foam is cracked and a piece is detached on the very bottom left hand side where the seat curves near the stomach area. It would easily glue back in place. Would this effect the safety and integrity of the seat?

The seat has been a tremendous value no matter how you look at it since we've used it for almost five years. If there is any chance at all of a risk, I'll just sell my covers and toss the seat.

THANKS!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
11-29-2005, 11:15 AM
I do not know anything about the foam issue but if your seat is 5 years old you probably have a year or less left before it should not be used, you should be able to find a DOM on the seat and 6 years frm that date is when it should be destroyed.

Ilana

Joolsplus2
11-29-2005, 11:28 AM
You should replace it... 1-888-4BRITAX has replacement parts...but really, sell the cover and ditch the seat...people who buy on ebay are likely to use an old seat well beyond 6 years, and that's not fair to their kids who could be in danger from riding in an expired seat (three years or less? Well, I've been known to sell a seat or two ;) )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

momtogirls
11-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Thank you for your replies.

I checked the date & it's April 2000, so I am going to throw it out in tomorrow's trash collection.

I've certainly gotten my money's worth (and more). I would never want to put someone's child at risk that didn't know better.

Scatterbunny
11-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Before you set it out for the garbage collector, make sure you remove and/or cut up the harness (I'd put the harness in a separate bag, to be safe) and write on the seat shell in permanent marker, "UNSAFE TO USE" or something along those lines. Better yet, smash it up with a hammer. You want to really make sure that no one will see it and snatch it up, thinking they've found a real bargain. It does happen.

momtogirls
11-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Good idea! The cover is already off, but I'll take the straps off too.

A related question.... should all car seats be replaced at six years??

Thanks!

-Lynne

Joolsplus2
11-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Yeah, it's 6 years for most seats...there are a *few* that are 7 or 8 or 5, but 6 is pretty standard (it's a pretty safe time frame in terms of both the seats breaking down but also parts getting lost and broken, recalls accumulating, and companies having to have parts in stock to repair seats, as well as changes in safety requirements that may come up).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Roni
12-28-2005, 12:12 PM
The cover on our Roundabout is toast, so I would be interested in yours, if you haven't already put it on e-bay. (Not sure if it's okay to sell things on the board--if not I'll check it out on e-bay.)