PDA

View Full Version : Installation question - Regent

Naomi S
12-02-2005, 09:37 PM
I received our new Regent carseats this week. Yay! But I have a question about installing the seats. If we use the recline bar, then do you NOT use the top tether? And if you use the tether, then you don't use the recline bar?

Are the seats safer when installed with the tether? If so, we may just ditch the recline bar - especially with three seats, it's a real pain to mess around with three tethers to recline/sit upright.

Oh - one more question - I've read on the Britax site that some of the seats have a special locking feature when installing with a seatbelt (we don't have LATCH in our minivan). Does the Regent have that? I didn't see it mentioned in the instruction manual.

Thanks!
Naomi

Joolsplus2
12-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Nope no lockoffs with the Regent for some reason. I would *always* use a top tether with a forward facing seat...they really help prevent head/neck injury, and the Regent is such an enormous seat, it needs all the help it can get to stay nice and tightly installed.
So if it says the recline bar is optional when using the top tether (I can't really get a straight answer on the recline bar for the regent, the manual's not online yet...), then you can ditch it and just use the tether.
I wouldn't be putting seats reclined or upright on every trip (well, you know what I mean)...just set them so the vehcle seats are reclined a notch or two and comfortable for napping and waking, and just leave them alone...no risk of the tether getting loose or forgetting to re-clip it or whatever.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Naomi S
12-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Thank you, Julie.

The car seat tech who installed my seats today couldn't figure out the purpose of the recline bar. We thought we might need it to get one seat installed tightly into the captain's chair, but once we had the seat installed, I could reach in and pull out the recline bar, so it wasn't needed for that.

If you find out what the purpose of the recline bar is, please let me know. I've set them aside for now - I see no real use for them.

Naomi