PDA

View Full Version : Need Car Seat for Huge 22 month old

ngraysmith
12-04-2005, 10:20 PM
My son is 22 months old, 37 inches tall and 33 pounds. We've got a Britax Roundabout and figure we're going to need a new seat within the next six months. We would like to leave him in a five-point harness for as long as possible. Suggestions? Getting a booster seat (like the Regent) would definitely be more cost effective, but I'm a bit worried that it will be too large for him. We're most concerned about safety, second about comfort and third about cost.

Another issue is that we're going to be getting on a plane at least 2x per year, and I'm not sure whether we need a car seat for the plane? If so, which ones will work on the plane?

Thanks in advance,

Nicole

Joolsplus2
12-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Well, the Regent is a seat that, harnesses to a full 80 pounds, and for such a big guy for your main car, it's probably actually a really good choice, you'll be able to keep him harnessed till 6 or 7, at least. It definitely won't be too big for him, it fits any kid 22 pounds and age 1 and up, and you will probably LOVE that the seat is so low and easy for him to climb into ;).

The Marathon/Boulevard/Decathlon are a couple inches bigger than the Roundabout, but still wouldn't last you longer than till age 4-5, so probably aren't the best way to spend money.

The new Apex might be really nice, as long as you have headrests in your car (the child's head always has to be supported by the vehicle seat, because the top of the Apex is kinda flimsy...not dangerous, just not strong enough to support on it's own).

The Radian from www.skjp.com is also great, it also even folds so you can haul it on vacation easily, but it's not *quite* on store shelves lately, so I can't give a review of any kind.

I know the Regent can't go on a plane I'm not SURE about the Apex. You can travel with him in the plane seat, though, and bring something else for when you get to your destination...either a seat with higher top slots that goes to 40 pounds, like the Graco Ultra Cargo or Evenflo Chase (well, you could actually use those on the plane easily...), or you can look at the RideSafer Travel vest, which is for kids over 35 pounds, but is SO light and easy to travel with, we love ours.

Hope that helps!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx