PDA

View Full Version : Just got second car, and can't afford another Britax for my big 3 year old, but confused on the Apex and the height of

kjbella
12-09-2005, 12:49 PM
The second car is a '94 Pontiac Bonneville, which he will be in maybe 3-5 times a week (most of the time he'll be in my car in the Marathon). I can't afford another Marathon, so I was looking at the Apex and/or Britax Parkway. However, I *really* like the 5 pt harness of the Apex. I just don't know how safe it would be in my husband's car. How high do the headrests need to be in the car for the Apex to be effective? I'm not even sure if the Bonneville has a headrest in the back. Or am I completely confusing myself and the seat should be fine in the Bonneville????? Can anyone help?

If the seat won't be safe in Bonneville, what other seats should I try? My son is 42 inches and almost 40 pounds. Do any other booster seats have a 5 pt harness?

I lurk here often just to get hints, so it's been ages since I logged in and naturally I couldn't remember my previous info, so I had to re-register. Sigh.

Anyway, thank you in advance.

K
mom to 3 year old
and one due next summer

Joolsplus2
12-09-2005, 01:10 PM
There's also the new Radian from www.skjp.com that you may be able to see at a nicer baby store (kinda spendy, though...but no restrictions on the headrest...). You have to imagine the Apex is 'like' a backless booster... you want the midpoint of the head to never be higher than the seatback or headrest...one mom has a 2 yo in a Tahoe with no headrest in an Apex, and she said she has heaps of space before his head will be that high on the seatback, so I'd imagine you probably have a good amount of time. Do you have a BRU so you can go try it out and see? If not, you can also try the Parkway... obviously it's not ideal, but it DOES fit little kids very well, and it is very 'containing' to remind them to sit properly.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kjbella
12-09-2005, 01:21 PM
How spendy is it? Once I get home I'll have to see how the seats are in the car and how high my son sits in them.

Are there any other seats I should look at? I just can't afford more than $150, and even that's going to hurt.

Thanks for your help.

Joolsplus2
12-09-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm pretty sure the Apex lists for $129... anyone you can hit up for early christmas gift certificates to BRU?

Good luck!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Joni
12-09-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Bonneville has reasonably high seat backs. If there's a trunk, then I think you're okay with the Apex. My dad has a Buick LeSabre (early 90's) and in a backless BPB my 7 y.o. cousin is fine. I think you should be okay.
JONI CPST