PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do. Was planning on buying a booster...

Bridget in MD
12-27-2005, 04:03 PM
but I am wondering if my DD will be able to safely fit in it.

Becca will be 3 in Feb. She is (at last measure, so she's probably taller now) 38 inches but she's only MAYBE 30 lbs.

I have a son, Jaden. He is 4 months old, but he's already 16 lbs and I am not sure how long, but he's closing in on the length restrictions for the infant carrier! So, I was hoping that in Feb, when Becca turned 3, to move her to a booster and Jaden to the convertible carseat (I have a Britax RA).

My problem is I *need* to get the baby out of the infant car seat. He's huge. =) I am praying the baby makes it until Feb! But, if Becca is too small for a booster, what should I buy? A bigger britax? I hate to get a bigger carseat, to only use it for a year or so, when she'll move into a booster.

I guess what I am asking is: are there booster seats that would fit a tall but skinny 3yo, or would it be wiser for me to just get a bigger carseat, such as a britax? Or what would you do? The baby will need to get out of the infant carrier soon, so if Becca's still in the RA, he's going to need something too. What do you all recommend?

TIA!!!!
Bridget =)

mommyto4
12-27-2005, 05:04 PM
I would look into the Recaro Young Sport. I don't own one but I hear that they are great. It is a 5 point harness seat to 40 pound then makes a great booster seat up to 80 pounds. That would keep her harnessed for probably at least 2 more years then give her a great booster after that. I think it would be worth checking into.
Melinda (mom to Sarah, Kaylee, Jayci, & Davis & grandma to Katie)

thehelferfamily
12-27-2005, 09:59 PM
We are in a similar situation.....5 month old almost too big for her infant car seat and needs to go into big sisters marathon. The folks here have suggested the recaro young sport for us also. Our 3 1/2 year old is only 27lbs so she is definately NOT ready for a booster seat....but the neat thing about the recaro is that she can stay harnessed up to 40lbs....which could be years for her, then the seat becomes a really great booster for her to use later. I think this is the route we will go, so that our oldest can continue to use her britax husky and the middle (3 1/2 yr old) can get a "new" big girl seat. Hope this info helps.

SusanMae
12-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Most 3 year olds don't have the maturity needed to sit in a booster. Do you think she would stay in the proper position for a seat belt 100% of the time? Does your daughter still fall asleep on trips in the car? Even my DH's almost 6 year old nephew still falls asleep on a 20 minute trip. In a booster she wouldn't be as well supported meaning in an accident there is the chance she wouldn't be sitting properly and wouldn't be protected. Not to mention that the seat belt is not as safe as a five point harness.

With a bigger britax such as the marathon, she could stay rear facing which of course adds another level of safety for your precious daughter. Odds are she will outgrow it before height, but when that time comes she will be more mature and ready for a booster.

This site has the Marathon for $199.99. It's only in the shadow cover, but the deal is great.
http://www.babylove.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/p-BSC-BRITC003.html?L+scstore+mynt8260+1134969861

I hope I've helped you out.

Susan

uccomama
12-28-2005, 12:24 PM
I agree with every you have already been told. But I wanted to stress your child is too young and too small to be in a belt positioning booster. Research has clearly shown that younger smaller children are at a much greater risk of head injuries if they are in a booster compared to older, bigger kids. I really don't think children should use boosters until they are at least five, six even better as this is when their bodies are becoming more like an adult in proportions and their head are getting smaller in relation to the rest of their bodies.

If the price of a Britax or Recaro is too much (they would be my top choices), then I would consider a combo seat, that is harnessed until 40 lbs and then converts to a booster, the Graco Cargo (not Treasured) is a reasonable harnessed seat as are the Evenflo's (Chase, Vision, Generations or Bolero -- only available at Walmart).

Deborah
CPSTech and mom to three

Bridget in MD
12-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks everyone!

I have no problem paying for three *gulp* boosters (my mom watches my children when I work, so that is why I need a third seat), but my husband doesn;t seem to think we need the 5 pt harness. Of course, he hasn't done the research I have, and I know he won't put a price on his daughter's safety. I just didn't want to buy another Britax carseat and have her outgrow it length wise, when I could buy a Recaro and have her in the 5pt harness until she is ready to be in a booster. And then have her brother in the RA, since he's getting too big for the infant carrier. And she's pretty tall for her age. So getting another carseat for her may not be the answer, kwim? I am really impressed with the things I have been seeing and reading about the Recaro seat recommended to me!

Thanks again!
Bridget =)

Momof3Labs
12-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Keep in mind that your DS will probably outgrow the RA in height long before he's ready to be in a booster. Then he can always move to the new seat you buy now for your DD, and she'll probably be ready for a booster at that time. So if you do go with a higher-weight harnessed seat now, you'll probably get a full 6 years' use out of it.

My DS is 42" and 37lbs at 3 years, and we just bought a Regent to replace his outgrown RA. He's nowhere ready for a booster, and has a little brother (presumably a tall one, also) who will use the Regent down the road. He also still fits nicely in his Marathons, with room to grow.