PDA

View Full Version : Almost ready for booster seat

Roni
12-28-2005, 12:00 PM
My 5.5 year-old is finally nearing the 40lb. mark. Do people agree that the Turbo-booster is best? Also, should we get the high-back version or the backless? THe car we hace now does have a high back on the sides, but what if she's in someone else's car? Is it safer to use the high-back seat, or is it dangerous to use it if you don't need it? Help! Thanks.

uccomama
12-28-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't think the TurboBooster is the "best" booster on the market. It isn't a particularly deep or wide side, so older kids tend to find it uncomfortable at some point. It doesn't have tested side impact protection, but it is probably okay, although it didn't do great in European test comparisons. The seat belt needs to be routed under the armrest and many people get this wrong, so if others are using it (ie grandparents, car pool parents) you need to make sure they understand this.

You have several different choices of booster ranging from $349 (199 on sale) for the Recaro Start down to around $30 for a high back booster like the Cosco Protek.

I have a website which compares many of the different boosters here:

http://members.tripod.com/uccomama-ivil/index.html

My top picks are the Britax Parkway, Recaro Start (if it is within your budget) and the Recaro Young Style, then the TurboBooster.

Whatever booster you get, I would definitely go for a high backed booster especially for a 5.5 year old. The high back boosters offer more protection in side impact crashes.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/chop-htb090905.php

"Effectiveness of High Back and Backless Belt-Positioning Booster Seats in Side impact crashes"

Belt-positioning booster seats provided a 58 percent overall reduction in risk of injury to 4-to 8-year-olds in side-impact crashes as compared with seat belts alone. (These findings support prior PCPS research, which shows booster seats to be 59 percent effective in reducing injury risk to 4-to 8-year-olds in crashes of all impact directions.)
The risk reduction provided by booster seats in side-impact crashes varied by booster seat type: 4-to 8-year-olds riding in high back booster seats were at a 70 percent reduction in injury risk, while those in backless boosters did not experience a statistically significant risk reduction as compared with seat belts alone.
However, both types of booster seats provided significant protection from "seat belt syndrome" injuries to the internal abdominal organs and lumbar spine. Most of the injuries to children seated in backless booster seats were head injuries.
Possible explanations for non-significant reduction in injury risk for backless booster seats are that parents may be less likely to use to use the shoulder belt- positioner that comes with backless booster seats and that high back boosters have a contoured back that may better contain the occupant in side-impact crashes.

Deborah
CPSTech and mom to three

Roni
12-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Wow, I'm really behind the times. So much has changed since the 1st edition of Toddler Bargains that I own. I've never even heard of Recaro before! But we have a Britax Roundabout and Marathon (I think). The Parkway seems like a good choice. In the update for Toddler Bargains they mention the Britax Bodyguard. What is the difference between that and the Parkway?

My other thought is that I should keep her in the Marathon longer. It just seems that for car pooling or switching to dh's car, it would be good to have the booster. Also, the cover of little sis's Roundabout is starting to fall apart, but I could just get a new cover. Hmm.

Anyway, thanks, Deborah, for all of your help.

uccomama
12-30-2005, 12:25 AM
There have been lots of new products on the market recently, but unless you are a geek like me, it is hard to keep up!

The Bodyguard has been and gone already. Well just about, it is now discontinued but can be had on sale. The Bodyguard is rated from 40lbs and has lock-offs for the lap belt (because it was too heavy to pass NHTSA's requirements without). It never flew because they were a PITB for kids to buckle themselves and the headwings were too close together for some kid's comfort (my DD doesn't have an issue with either of these things).

So the differences between the Parkway and the Bodyguard are the Parkway has no armrests or lock-offs so it is much easier for kids to buckle themselves in, it has wider head wings, it doesn't have an adjustable base and has a couple of shallow and not all that useful cup holders. The base is also angled in the back as opposed to the Bodyguard's flat base which I think looks uncomfortable for kids, my DD always looks like she is sliding off the Bodyguard, although she claims she is sitting all the way back, this isn't the case with the Parkway.

As long as your DD still fits the Marathon, keep her in it, a harnessed seat is much, much safer. But at her age she will probably do fine in a booster like the Parkway for car pooling and riding with Daddy. My DS is also 5.5 and he is in a harnessed seat in my car and uses the Parkway for the occasional rides in DH's van.

Deborah

Roni
12-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks, Deborah. I think I'll go with the Bodyguard. I was hoping to go today, since my $10 TRU gift certificate expires tomorrow, but dd's stomach bug probably squashed that plan. Thanks again!

Edited to sayy: Whoops! I meant Parkway! I still haven't bought it. I'm going to start looking around, so I came back on to check the name. Confused brain!