PDA

View Full Version : Safest seating arrangements?

jubuguls1
12-29-2005, 12:36 AM
We have a Yukon with 2 bucket seats for the 2nd row (no bench seating). DD is 3 years, 38lbs, 38inches and currently sits behind the passenger side in a Husky. DS is 16mo, 26lbs, 34inches on the driver side in a MA.

Both are FF. I want to turn DS RF (for safety resons) but the
MA prevents the driver seat from being moved all the way back. DH is 6'4". If I swap my DS and DD, then my DD's knees are squashed into the back of the driver seat.

Is there some trick to getting the RF seats angled so the driver has room to move their seat back? We have a fairly large SUV. I've seen lots of images of RF kids posted by joolsplus2.

Also, does anyone know why the passenger side is safer than the driver side?
Thanks.
Juliana

SusanMae
12-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Your son doesn't need the recline that he had as a newborn rearfacing. He can be pretty upright. Did you have problem getting the infant seat back there? It's not a problem if the car seat touchs the seat of the car. Do you have his seat tethered?

I can get a rear facing marathon in the back seat of my car, a 2005 Malibu Maxx with the drivers seat in my husbands position. Granted I had it in the middle and my husband isn't 6'4" either. I can also get an infant seat with base behind the drivers seat with it in the position where my husband drives.

I have to wonder(and i'm just thinking aloud here) do you have his seat over reclined?

Susan

Joni
12-29-2005, 11:27 AM
I wonder too, about the recline. We had a Tahoe (Same pretty much) and was able to have the Alpha Omega RF behind my husband at 6'1", and in my Chevy Blazer without it interfering.
With a child that old you can easily sit the seat more upright, the 45 deg. angle is only necessary with young babies but once they get older they can finally sit more upright, creating more room for you.
JONI CPST

jubuguls1
12-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally I had a Tahoe with a bench seat so DS sat in the middle with his infant seat. I just assumed he would still need to be reclined but I will definitely try installing it RF without angling it as much. Hopefully he won't complain too much about being RF now that he's had a taste of FF.

Thank you for the replies.