PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Bauer Summit Booster and Apex 65 info please

mommy2robby_danny
12-29-2005, 11:20 PM
I have been goinf crazy searching the internet, forums and stores for a combo booster for my ds. He is 37mo, 30#, 42". He has outgrown the height max of the Evenflo Triumph in DH's 01 Dodge Ram with extended cab. I have a Britax husky for my car but I need something a bit cheaper for the truck. We only use in 3 times a month max and we need two, one for fil's 02 Ford Explorer Sport trac too.
Anyway, I had a list of seats but after seeing the Graco CarGo's, Evenflo Tradition, Generation etc I hated the cheap look and feel of all of them.
Is there anything better? How id the Eddie Bauer Summit? It says it has a 100# max and looked to have nice fabric and no dorky head pillows or anything.
I am loving the Apex 65 too but I am worried. The back seat of the truck has no headrests, what do I do for a seat without a headrest? You cannot install it against the window, can you? Is that safe?
HELP PLEASE, I am losing sleep over this! LOL
Thanks!
Colleen

SusanMae
12-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Try posting over on the baby bargains carseat board..it gets more traffic.

Susan

mommy2robby_danny
12-30-2005, 03:40 PM
I did, nothing! :( sigh..
Thanks anyway

momtoB
12-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Hi, I'm not a car seat tech but I wouldn't think that putting the Apex's headrest up against a window would not pass muster because the window would break very easily. So your ds would outgrow this seat just like he would a backless booster, as soon as his ears reach the top of the truck's seat back. It kind of irks me that Cosco has made this seat this way because I think it will definitely be misused by people who don't thoroughly read their instructions and assume the headrest is there for protection when it's not strong enough for that.

As for the Summit, I understand that Cosco/Safety 1st 3-in-1 type seats all have the same problem in that the harness slots are fairly low so most kids outgrow the harness by height well before their ready to be in a belt-positioning booster seat (which is at least age 4 & 40 lbs). We have a Cosco A/O 3-in-1 seat and ds who is only 2-1/2 is about 1" from outgrowing this seat by height already. Remember you can't use the very top notch on these seats for harnessing, only the 2nd from top because the top notch did not pass the car seat test (darn Cosco again!).

Honestly if you can't afford a Britax I think you're best bet is probably an Evenflo Generations/Bolero. The Bolero is the basic version and is sold at Walmart, but K-mart is supposed to be getting some soon too. This is the one I am getting my ds for grandma's car. It's a combo seat that converts to a bpb after 40lbs. This seat is actually one that looks like it would convert well to a bpb as it has nice open loops for the seatbelt to go through. Many of the 3-in-1 seats and some of the other combo's have closed loops that the seatbelts don't flow through very well and cause the seatbelt to not retract correctly in an accident. This is why I do not plan on ever using our A/O as a bpb because it's not highly rated as that and I want my ds to be as safe as possible. Can you tell I didn't do my research until *after* I bought this seat, lol.

This site also has some good recommendations: http://www.carseatsite.com/ (click on Recommended Car Seats)

hth!
Cheryl
ds-4/21/03

Joolsplus2
01-02-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm agreeing with Cheryl, but also want to say call Cosco and ask them about the headrest on the back glass issue, I have a feeling they haven't considered it, or have, and might allow it (???) www.djgusa.com has a contact number.
Also consider the Sunshine Kids Radian (though the ones made before 2/1/06 have short harness straps and don't actually FIT kids that tall, lol, they are fixing it, fortunately!), it has tall top slots, goes to 65 pounds, and has no weird headrest restriction. Possibly even the Graco Cargo or Safety 1st Intera (the only Cosco product besides the Apex that has tall top slots and really does make a great booster seat...the enormous base is removable so it fits lots of cars nice and low in the seat) would be good choices (they only harness to 40 pounds).
Thumbs down on the Summit...Eddie Bauer is just a dressed up Cosco...flimsy, low top slots, overall not-terrific.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mommy2robby_danny
01-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks everyone!
Since the BBB was down this weekend, I needed to make a decision. I didnt get these anwsers til after I bought the seat. I chose the Apex 65 vut kept all the papers and box incase it didnt insall or fit ds well or I didnt like the anwsers! LOL
I decided to get this seat as I like the design to keep the head upright if he falls asleep, I like the idea of keeping his harnessed til 65lbs too but here is my plan...
DS2 is also quite tall and he is heavy...I am going to keep DS in the Apex until he is old enough for a Parkway. Being that he is 30lbs now I didn't want to be forced into a Parkway if he happens to gain the next 10lbs fast by some chance. He is on a food therapy program for his SID/PDD. So, as soon as he is old enough for the parkway the Apex will go to ds2 til he is old enough for a Parkway. That way there is no issue with raising the headrest on the Apex at all or using it as a BPB.
I am however going to call Dorel tomoroow just to make sure about the glass issue, if it is an issue, I will move the seat to my fil's car (which we needed a new combo seat for anyway)and get the Platnium CarGo I was going to get originally.
I like the Platnium Cargo, I had in on hold and had gone up to get it, even tried it out and it fit well in the truck but the 40lb weight limit was the issue. It just looked like a taller convertible to me so I went with a "big boy" seat which ds is very proud og..so I hope it will work..wish us luck!
Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the novel!
Colleen

Joolsplus2
01-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Great! I've read this seat really installs fairly easily and isn't bad to use, so I hope you have good luck with it! Does that truck have top tether anchors? If not, I may be able to get you part numbers so you can call a dealer and be forearmed (they aren't technically necessary, but DO make harnessed seats considerably safer).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx