PDA

View Full Version : extra car seats for skinny preschoolers

ottawamom
01-07-2006, 04:31 PM
We need car seats right away for a second car. Our 2 1/2 year old girl is 34 1/2 inches and 27.5 lbs, and our very skinny 4 1/2 year old boy is 39 1/2 inches but only 28 lbs. Currently we have Fisher Price and Century convertible seats in one car and do not find them especially easy to close or adjust. We were thinking of combination harness/booster seats so that they could be used for a long time, although according to their growth charts they won't be 40 lbs until 5 1/2 and 7 years, respectively. They will clearly outgrow height limits before weight limits. Our choices in this Canadian city are a bit limited -- we saw the Safety 1st Intera, Britax Marathon (but only in a flower print), Evenflo Generations. I read here the Eddie Bauer and Costco have too low top slots. Have not seen the Recaro Young Sport around here.

Thanks in advance,
Elizabeth

momtoB
01-07-2006, 07:04 PM
The Marathon has 18" top slots and would probably be a great choice for your dd. The Generations/Bolero has 16.5" top slots and converts to a bpb (has nice open loops for the seatbelt to slide through which is what I like about it). That might be a good choice for your 4yr old ds. Or you could get him a Marathon too and then either order him another cover or order the seat with the cover you want for him online. I have heard mixed reviews about the Safety 1st Intera (some love, some hate). Safety 1st is the same as Cosco/EB. According to the site below the top harness slots are 16" but this seat is a 3-in-1 that converts to a backless booster.

This site has the harness slot measurements:
http://www.carseatdata.org/csnumbers.html

You can sit your kids on the floor, back to the wall and mark on the wall w/a pencil where the tops of their shoulders are. Measure from the floor to mark and you'll have their torso height. Then compare those measurements to the car seat data. It might help you figure out what you're options are.

hth!

SusanMae
01-08-2006, 01:43 PM
>Our 2 1/2 year old girl is 34 1/2 inches and 27.5 lbs, and our very >skinny 4 1/2 year old boy is 39 1/2 inches but only 28 lbs. >Currently we have Fisher Price and Century convertible seats in one >car and do not find them especially easy to close or adjust.

Since both of your children are still small enough to RF weight wise, I would try them in a Marathon, Decathalon or Boulevard. They are all the same shell so it doesn't really matter which one you try. If the tops of their ears are below the top of the shell in one of those seats, then they would be able to rear face in any of the 3. Your children are far from the reccomended weight requirement to use a booster safely.

Babies R Us online has the Boulevard is on sale in Park Avenue for $229 plus an additional 10 off using the code on the page. This makes the seat about $30 cheaper than the marathon. You would get a good bit of use out of them in the long run as well, especially since they are probably small enough to rear face.

If you go to http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbumAll.aspx you will see older children who are still rear facing.

Susan