PDA

View Full Version : best seat for large child

colinsmom
01-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi All,

I have a very large 2 1/2 year old. (about 41 inches and 41 pounds.) I just bought him the Eddie Bauer comfort high back booster that harnesses till he is 40 pounds and then is a booster. Well I realized he needed to be harnessed a lot longer so I bought a Britax Husky for the main car he rides in. My question is what do I do about the Eddie Bauer seat. I have read conflicting info about slack in the seatbelt when used as a booster. But then I read they repaired that problem. This is a new model that just came out recently I believe. Should I not harness him in it and just use the booster when he rides in it once in awhile since he is more than 40 pounds (He can be harnessed till 43 inches). I am not sure what to do.

Thanks,

Tris

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-11-2006, 09:31 PM
If possible i would return this seat. You could try the cosco apex as a spare seat since it harness' to 65 lbs and is around $130 rather than $200 or more for a Husky/Regent. I would not put a child into a harness until they are at least 4 and hopefully 5 so i do not think this seat will be of good use to you.

JMHO

Ilana

momtoB
01-15-2006, 12:29 AM
From what I understand weight limits are set in stone so once the weight limit for the harness is reached you cannot use the seat with it any more. I agree with the pp about returning it if that's an option. Otherwise you should wait until your dc is at least 4yrs before using it as a bpb. Since that's still a way's off you might just want to get rid of it and buy a dedicated booster when the time comes since the 3-in-1 seats don't make great boosters anyway.

I also have an '04 model Cosco A/O which is basically the same seat you have. My ds is a lightweight but about to outgrow the harness in height. By the time he's heavy enough to be in a bpb his seat will be expired so I think I'm going to either free-cycle it or donate it to a shelter if I can. It would still be totally usable for another smaller child until it's expired so I hate to see it go totally to waste.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
01-15-2006, 04:27 AM
weight limits are rock solid set in stone, can't vary a pound from them.

if you do, you void your warrenty on the seat and use your child as a crash-test dummy.

return the seat and invest in something that will keep him harnessed or a good booster for the spare seat.

if the vehicle has tall headrests, the Apex is a fine choice... it is outgrown the same way a backless booster would be (all based on vehicle headrest/seatback)

if the vehicle seats are too short for the Apex and another Britax is not in the budget, then get a booster with a tall adjustable back.

if the seatbelts in that vehicle lock (by pulling them all the way out and slowly releasing them to lock the shoulderbelt)... do so.

Kat