PDA

View Full Version : Head spinning from the choices, need some suggestions

asn4141
01-15-2006, 07:01 PM
It's time to get our 2.5-year-old (errr, 31-month old) DS out of the Britax Roundabout and into a harnessed booster. He is currently still within the limits, at 36" and 33.5 lbs, but I am concerned about the wear on the foam that is underneath the lining. Due to wear and tear from him climbing in and out multiple times a day, we've ripped (and re-glued) several chunks of the foam. We're due to bump up to a booster within the next few months, and with a long car trip in our near future I really want to get this done sooner than later to be safe.

So he's 36", 33.5 lbs, and I drive a small-ish 4-door car, a 2002 Mazda Protege. Definitely don't have the high back seats that I see some of these boosters require. Currently the RA is situated in the middle of the back seat, but there's a possibility we'll be adding the Graco Snugride back in the car, within the next year (hoping, anyway ;) ). So the booster will at some point need to move to a side position.

Britax Husky? Cosco Apex? Do I have more options?

Thank you!!!!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-15-2006, 10:14 PM
What is your price range? How long do you plan on keeping your ds in a harness- 40 lbs or over 40 lbs? When was your RA manufactured?

You have a bunch of options IMHO

Britax MA/DC/BV~ harness to 65 lbs
Britax Regent~ Harness to 80 lbs

Cosco Apex ~ harness to 65 lbs and then becomes booster

a combo seat that harness' to 40 lbs but if he gains the 6.5 lbs before he is 4 year old you may want to buy another higher weight harnessed seat.

Let us know how you feel about these things and post back....

Ilana

asn4141
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Hi Ilana,
Thanks for the info so far. To answer your questions...

-I'd love to say that price isn't an object, but obviously in every purchase we make, it is. For my son's safety though, if it means spending a few extra bucks, well so be it. If two seats rate absoultely equally safe, then I'd let price be the deciding factor. But otherwise I'd rather err on the side of safety.

-I definitely want to keep him in a harness over 40 lbs. Probably to 65. I hadn't even considered the fact you can go higher than that (like to 80?) but I think 65 should be sufficient.

-I can't be 100% sure of the manufacture date, but we bought our RA new from a major baby supply chain (in store, not online) and it was the latest model of RA in late 2003. Other than the foam issue we've been really happy with it. I am disappointed that we won't be able to use it again for another child, but hey, safety first, right? After looking closer at the wear and tear on the foam, I am honestly surprised I hadn't heard similar stories about foam breakage. Maybe other people more typically place their child into the seat? For the past year, with it positioned in the middle seat, it's been easier to let him climb in for us. And our son isn't a typical bruiser boy... he hasn't really beat the thing up intentionally or by being overly rough.

I'd like to consider the Cosco Apex, but isn't that one where you have to have high seat backs to use it? There are headrests on the left and right in the back seat of our Protege, but I don't know if that qualifies as "high". They are the fixed, molded kind.. they don't adjust. Plus it'd definitely mean moving him out of the center (which will happen in the long run, but didn't plan on it right now)...

Decisions decisions ;)

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-16-2006, 12:17 AM
Since you are getting rid of your RA ( if i understood correctly) I would get your ds a MA. If you have a dc in a year or two your ds will be more ready to go into a bpb and you will have another child for the MA. Did you check into getting replacement foam for the RA so that you can use it? It might not be a ton of money? Worth a shot IMHO.

I think that in your situation you would like the MA best. You do not have to have any high seatbacks behind it and you are familiar with Britax already. Since you are going to need to buy another seat for the next child you are planning on having i would say to go for the MA.

I would try the MA IRL if possible before you buy it since the harness adjuster is different than the RA.

HTH

Ilana

Joolsplus2
01-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Call Britax and get new foam... you aren't going to find a seat that is as comfortable and easy to use as your RA, and you want to get as much use out of it as possible (it won't expire till 2009), so spend a few bucks to refurbish it and use it till his shoulders are *just* above the top slots.

The Regent is terrific, and so are any of the Marathon-and-clones, but stil not *quite* as nice as your RA...but of course he will grow out of the RA eventually ;)...so also look at the www.safeguardseat.com and the www.skjp.com Radian seat as well as the bigger Britaxes... they are still very new, but more reviews keep rolling in, and you really do have some time left in that RA to comparison shop.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

asn4141
01-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Just wanted to thank both of you for the suggestion to get replacement foam for the RA. I called Britax today, and replacement for both sides of hard foam was only $10! It's on its way. You just saved me a couple hundred dollars in replacing that seat in a couple years (?) for hopeful child #2. I'm also not as pressed to replace it now before our big trip next month. When I saw the priciness of the replacement covers on their site, I assumed the foam would be just as outrageously priced, but it wasn't. Woo hoo! THANK YOU!

We'll probably replace the cover too eventually, but that isn't urgent right now. It'll last through this kid at least.

The only thing stopping me from moving up to a MA is that I like the idea of having one of the other brands that starts with a harness and then converts to a BPB after 65 lbs. It seems that would save money in the long run, instead of going RA to MA to BPB. I just need to figure out if that's possible to find a safe one for a car with not-high seats.

Joolsplus2
01-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Yeah, hang in there, there might be more new seats on the way if we are lucky, or the Apex will be modified to be used without high seatbacks (though, it's possible that your seatbacks are 'tall enough' that you could get a good deal of use out of the Apex before your ds gets too tall, because it's a much lower seat than the Roundabout...if that makes sense?). Anyway, glad we were able to extend the life on your RA a bit :D. (Sometimes other stores sell covers for like $29 when they are discontinued)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx