PDA

View Full Version : your opinion of a nice booster seat for under $100

linda_loo
01-19-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm looking to buy 2 BPBS for my preschool-aged kids. I'll be honest, they aren't 40 pounds yet. These boosters are just for back-up and to be used in taxi's when we visit the inlaws. I can't afford the high end seats, since we are buying 2 at once and are on a limited budget.

I checked out the pages at http://members.tripod.com/uccomama-ivil/index.html and I still just don't know what to buy.

Any suggestions? Compass B500? Graco Turbo?

TIA.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-19-2006, 08:33 PM
The Parkway is a really nice booster and i believe it is around $80-90. The turbo is not bad but i have heard alot of complaints that the back falls off when it is moved so i do not know so much about it, i think the Parkway is nice because it will last until your dc is done with a booster and it is not a very heavy seat.

JMHO

Ilana

Joolsplus2
01-20-2006, 06:42 AM
What kid of Taxiing are you talking about...just one trip from the airport, or at least once a day...? Maybe the RideSafer travel vest would be a good choice, since it starts at 35 pounds and is very easy to pack. The Compass isn't my favorite, but then again, always having a tall back that folds right up might be just too convenient for words in your situation.
Even the backless Cosco Ambassador or High Rise or Strolee McKinley start at 30-33 pounds and might work for you... they are really light, that's for sure..I have them for my own kids to use with neighbors (I'm a total worrywart about side impact protection and they are harnessed or in Parkways in my cars, but boy, sometimes, convenience is what it's all about, I totally understand!).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

linda_loo
01-20-2006, 10:30 AM
oooh, I forgot about the Parkway. The bubbly fun is around $80. Off to do more research. Thanks so much ladies!

linda_loo
01-20-2006, 11:19 AM
I am thinking I will order 2 Parkways. If I understand things correctly, they will be much lighter than lugging around the girls' regular seats (Marathons), certainly easier to install in a rental or a taxi. They should last us for a relatively long time, while offering side impact protection, excellent protection overall, even when we are looking for some convenience.

Julie - it's quite possible that we would be taxiing every day, twice a day. For that matter, there may be a rental car, still a drive every day... I guess I need to buy with those possibilities in mind. Can you give me an idea why the Compass isn't your favorite? Thank you.

Joolsplus2
01-20-2006, 04:55 PM
The Compass is very wide, and tends to not fit littler kids very well (can't adjust the headrest low enough). It's also very short, and won't last bigger kids very long (so it's ideal for kids aged, oh, 5-7). The headrest is very poor for sleeping...those are my main issues...because otherwise it's a nice seat. I know MY kids tend to sleep a lot more when we go visiting and driving with grandma, and I've always cheaped out and used backless boosters and ultimately feel terrible when they are draped all sideways (the Parkway holds them right up and is so comfy they happily fall right asleep).
The Parkway at least is very small, for a booster, and fits fine in a regular carseat carrying bag. Or some folks get High Back Turbos, then pack the back in luggage, bring the base on the plane (ONLY as carryon, so it doesn't get lost in luggage, and it's very entertaining at the gate, trust me, lol), and then reassemble them when they arrive...they are pretty good sleep support and light, too.

Anyway, I'm just in 'brainstorm and memories' mode, so I hope that helps a little!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

linda_loo
01-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Julie - thank you so much! I really appreciate your input (have done my share of lurking around here, and have seen many of your posts).

In case anyone is lurking and interested in a pretty good deal:

I just ordered 2 Parkways from babystyle.com. Bubbly Fun is now $79.99 and shipping is free, though there is a $20 shipping surcharge. I used the code SALE20 and saved 20% off (they are currently offering 20% off all sale items, it's advertised on their homepage), so I feel like I got a great buy.

tjham
02-06-2006, 10:18 PM
OT a little but if shipping is "free", how can they have a surcharge?

linda_loo
02-07-2006, 07:42 AM
big items always have a surcharge, which are not part of the "free shipping" deal... i think the regular shipping fee is usually something like $6.95, and it would have been $6.95 plus the surcharge. So, I saved the $6.95; not a huge amount I know.