PDA

View Full Version : new carseat for 4yo, 39 lbs, 42"

kbuckard
01-21-2006, 12:47 PM
i have two kids who are 13 mos apart in age. my 4yo is in the marathon and my 3yo is in the roundabout. her shoulders are just about to the top slit so she'll need to move into the marathon and we'll get a new seat for him.

i've been trying to read the messages but the terminology is confusing as is weight/height limits and other factors. i would like a seat with a 5pt harness that later converts to a booster seat. i'm not concerned with cost. i drive a honda odyssey.

which seats should i be looking at?

thanks!

kbuckard
01-21-2006, 12:53 PM
at least i think i'm correct in thinking he still needs to be in a 5pt harness.

thanks!

SusanMae
01-21-2006, 02:07 PM
He does need to still be in a 5 point harness. What slot is he using in the MA?

Do you have high seat backs or head rests? If so you should be able to move him into the Apex. I think it's the only seat that harness to 65 lbs and then converts to a booster. If he still has plenty of room in the MA why not just leave him in the MA and get lil sis a new MA.

Susan

Joolsplus2
01-21-2006, 05:08 PM
It doesn't convert to a booster, but the Regent is a very nice seat that works great in the Ody captain's chairs, and you can keep him harnessed another couple years, then give it to his sister, then get him a nice booster (most 'combo' seats are usually not terrific as harnessed seats AND as boosters...generally they are better if they are dedicated to one purpose).

Though, the Apex isn't bad at each function (it's not strong on the side impact protection when used as a booster, though), and isn't too much money...that's the only choice that'd work for him, since he's so close to 40 pounds.

My 8 and six year olds adore their Huskies (older model of Regent), if that's any help, and they also like their Parkways, but I wouldn't like to have put them in boosters full time at age 4, they are just too wiggly, so I have to yell at them too much to sit back, lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kbuckard
01-21-2006, 08:18 PM
in the marathon, we have the straps at the top slot and he still has 1 to 1 1/2" until he reaches them.

since i don't want to compromise on a combination seat, i guess i'll buy another marathon or a regent and wait to get the booster seat.

we do fly a couple times a year and thus far, have been lugging the roundabout and marathon on the planes. my concern with the regent is it isn't FAA approved so we'd have to check it or borrow a seat when we get to our destination. neither option makes me happy. but he'll probably outgrow the marathon heightwise in another year. ugh! decisions, decisions.

thanks for your advice!!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-22-2006, 03:11 AM
How much does the 3 year old weigh? What about getting them a combo seat? A great one is the recaro start. If it could get your older dc another year to year and a half before the younger reaches the 40 lbs weight limit you could switch them- put the younger into MA and older into Recaro as BPB?

Ilana

Joolsplus2
01-23-2006, 12:34 PM
We like our RideSafer Travel Vest for traveling...it's really just that, a vest... it spreads crash forces out evenly but basically works like a nicely containing booster (needs a lap/shoulder belt or lapbelt and top tether anchor). Parents think it looks awful, but kids absolutely adore the thing, and it fits in my carryon luggage with ease. I wish it were cheaper, though... I like that other suggestion of the Graco Cargo for the 3 yo, too...I tried one in my van and it worked great (light for travel, too).
The Recaro Young Sport is a super nice seat, but not FAA approved (there's a single test it has to pass, where they buckle it in and flip the vehicle seat upside down...basically any installed seat CAN pass it, but I think Recaro just didn't bother? I don't know why not...).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx