PDA

View Full Version : Confused about which booster

Omom
01-25-2006, 04:31 PM
My son is 3.4 yrs old, 32 lbs and 38" tall. He is still in his convertible carseat and we want to get a booster this weekend. Does he need the harness or will a shoulder belt be ok? I thought he needed to be harnessed until 40 lbs but from what I've read so far, I'm now confused by this issue.

Since we travel quite a bit in the car, wings are important for head restraint while sleeping, as well as a recline feature.

Thanks

momtoB
01-25-2006, 07:21 PM
He should be in a harnessed seat until he's at least 4yrs old and 40lbs. Waiting until 5 or 6yrs is even better. What seat is he in currently and why do you want to change? (just curious). Everything I have read, including the AAP & NHTSA website says at least 4yrs & 40lbs before switching to a BPB. Younger kids heads are just too heavy in relation to their bodies to be properly restrained in a 3-pt harness. We would ALL be safer riding in a 5-pt, just like Nascar drivers, but of course that isn't very practical. Every step "up" to the next type of car seat is a step down in safety.

If you really need a new seat because the old one just won't work anymore, you might want to look at the Recaro Young Sport which harnesses to 40lbs, has nice wings with Side Impact protection, and converts to a BPB from 40-80lbs. If $$ are an issue, then I suggest the Evenflo Generations which is also a combo seat. Or you can keep your child harnessed until age 8 or sometimes even up to 11 in a Britax Regent (f/fing harnessed seat up to 80lbs - does NOT convert to a bpb). That should be the last car seat your ds would ever need.

According to my ped after age two kids tend to grow about 3-4lbs per year so if that holds true, you should get at least a couple of years more out of the harness before switching to a BPB.

hth.

Omom
01-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the reply. He is currently in the Evenflo Triumph and is getting a bit tall for it. His shoulders are at the height of the highest strap and I know that last inch will be coming fast. I have no problems keeping him harnessed for a while. So I guess I'll look for a good booster that has a harness that converts to a seatbelt and like you said, keep him in that one for a few years.

androniki
01-28-2006, 10:02 PM
i just ordered the safeguard car seat for my child
who is aboout to get out of her roundabout.
it is expensive
however the benefits outway the cost
it has a 30 day money back guarantee

but it looks like awinner

good luck