PDA

View Full Version : Needing suggestions for next car seat

toria
01-26-2006, 03:02 AM
Hello group--need some suggestions & or comments...

DD is 3.5 yrs, 30lbs, 37" and in MA. We both love it and I wouldn't be moving her to another seat (thinking about a combination seat) if it weren’t for her 5-month-old brother, who is about to out grow his infant carrier. Question is this... do I purchase another RA or MA for him or shop a new seat for her? For DD, I am considering the Safety 1st Prospect booster w/(5pt harness up to 43", 40lbs) or the Recaro Young Sport w/(5pt harness up to 40", 40lbs). Both have EPS in head region, but Recaro has deeper side wings (and EPS) in torso area, although my car does have SI airbags as well as top tethers. What I really don't like about either of those car seats for her is that the weight limit is 40lbs in harness, but she'll probably out grow them in height rather than weight. I don't know why more seats don't have higher harness limits like the MA. I'm not particularly interested in Regent due to its size. Also, we live in IL and state law now requires children in car seats until 8yrs, so at some point I will need a booster for her. Any thoughts or comments would be helpful. Every time I think I've made my seat decision I rethink it. DH says I'm over analyzing, again.

-Victoria

momtoB
01-26-2006, 01:32 PM
I just had to chuckle when I read your post because I feel the same way about car seat companies - why don't more make them with higher harness height limits? My ds is pretty tall for his age 33mos, 38-3/4" (90th %tile) so I am having much the same dilemma (although I just have him to think about, no other kiddo's). My dh also thinks I over-analyze the whole car seat thing too - I'm still looking for a replacement for the Touriva he uses in MIL's car. We just bought him a Britax Blvd for ours but can't really afford another $$$ car seat like that and so I'd like to get him a good combo. Actually if money weren't an object I think I'd go with the Young Sport. I haven't seen one IRL although I heard that Burlington/Baby Depot carries them.

Anyway, I wanted to pass along a link to this thread about the Eddie Bauer "Cubb" combo seat which is supposed to be a fancier version of the Safety 1st Prospect you're considering. there are pictures, measurments, and other info about that seat you might be interested in: http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/baby/babysafety/9421/thread/2830003

hth and I'll be interested to see what others recommend!

Cheryl
ds-4/03 (27lbs @ 33mos)

SusanMae
01-27-2006, 08:39 PM
I personally would leave her in the seat. Why? Because in approx 3 years the seat she is in will need to be replaced because it will be expired. Technically she is still below the weight limit to RF for another 3 pounds. So you could return her to RF and then FF again when she is old enough. By that time she will probably be 5 or 6 and should be mature enough to sit in the booster.

Get another MA, DC or BLVD for your son and let him use it for its full lifespan.

Susan